PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla glue longetivity

Jerry Allen
05-13-2007, 1:26 PM
I have read a number of comments regarding th longtivity of Gorrila glue here and though I would pass this along.
I bought some Gorilla glue back in July of 2004. I use it infrequently because I don't really care for it, but on some projects it is necessary.
I had read at time I had opened it that it's life was about 6 months.
Since then I have always squeezed the bottle after use until the glue is at the very tip when I put the cap back on. I also store it inverted and try to keep it cool (which is not always easy in the summer).
It is still working fine 3 years later. The only caveat being that the bottle stays distorted. But that's better than having to trash it.

Jamie Buxton
05-13-2007, 6:32 PM
So the good news is that you can get Gorilla glue to store for a long time, and the bad news is that you can get Gorilla glue to store for a long time? :)

Chris Barton
05-13-2007, 9:00 PM
I've tried several differing brands and done all the tricks and the shelf span of an opened bottle for me has been much less than a year. On the bright side, I rarely use urethane glues and i now just buy the smallest container so that I don't feel bad when I end up throwing away the rest when it gets rubbery about 3-6 months later.

Loren Hedahl
05-14-2007, 4:53 PM
Since polyurethane glues take water to cure, I would think storing your half-empty bottle in Arizona might be a good idea.

Unfortunately I get down to Arizona usually just once or twice during the winter months. During those junkets vitamin D plays so heavily on my mind, I can't even recall one thought about Gorilla glue.

Just kidding, of course - but anything to keep moist air out would certainly be a good idea.

Loren

Jerry Allen
05-14-2007, 6:30 PM
When I first bought the bottle I was living near the ocean where the humitity was fairly high. I now live in a fairly arid area.
I think the main thing is not allowing any ambient air in which may contain moisture. Since the glue is right to the tip, there is no room for any air.

Eric Gustafson
05-14-2007, 7:09 PM
Got to agree on humidity being the key. I live in AZ and the stuff lasts easlily for a year or two. I trick I used to use with CA glues in my model aviation days is to store the glue containers in larger container with dessicant added. As long as you keep the dessicant fresh, your moisture sensitive glue should last much longer.