PDA

View Full Version : Stupid tool question

Scott Taylor
05-13-2007, 11:47 AM
My uncle gave me this very stout Milwaukee 4" belt sander a few weeks ago. He said it is pratically new as he never really used it, but it must be 5-10 years old.

I finally tried to use it last night and I can't keep the belt on track. Aside from the trigger, there are only two other parts to mess with. The lock/unlock to install the belt, and the front guide wheel screw. I maxed the screw out and the belt still runs over.

I feel like an idiot asking this on here, but if someone has the answer, I am sure they are a member of this site.

Al Killian
05-13-2007, 1:06 PM
If it has a spring that hold the tension, then you can do what I have done. Pull the spring and get one alittle shorter and see if that helps. One other thing is if you are using a belt thats been on it for that long, the belt will need replacement.

Scott Taylor
05-13-2007, 9:09 PM
Thanks Al for the reply. Where would this spring be located if it has one? Something else I can tell you is that the axel for the front rolloer is pushed all the way up against the side wall. This is after I've tightend the screw-wheel as far as it will go.

I went to the Milwaukee website today and couldn't find any support. Not even an old models/manuals section.

Al Killian
05-14-2007, 12:40 AM
You should be able to see it next to the tracking device, if there is one. Find there tech support number and give them a call. Someone there should be able to help with more details.

Jamie Buxton
05-14-2007, 1:02 AM
Perhaps you have the tracking screw maxed out in the direction that is driving the belt off the sander. Typically the belt tracks correctly with the screw someplace in the middle of its adjustment range. Try screwing it back the other direction.