PDA

View Full Version : Relacement planer blades

Al Killian
05-13-2007, 1:48 AM
I am looking at getting a second set of blades for my jointer. It is a Grizzly G0505 12, 1/2" model. The blades they sell are the double edged ones and the guy that sharpens my blades does not like doing double edged blades, plus they dont seem to last long compared to other brands. So, where do others but extra sets of blades from? I will probaly get a extra set for my 6" jointe as well.

Byron Trantham
05-13-2007, 10:29 AM
I used to buy mine from amazon. Now I sharpen my own. I bought a tormek system and hire out to sharpen scissors, knives, etc. Over the last couple years I have earned back 85% of the Tormek investment.

Al Killian
05-13-2007, 1:01 PM
I have been thinking about it. The prices I pay for sharpening are 6" jointer blades $2.50 each, 12, 1/2" planer blades $4.00 per edge, 10" saw blade 60 tooth$10 and cost per new tooth $3.00.The cost for one trip to his place comes to less then forty bucks, if I have all these done at once. At the rate he charges me it would take me several years to pay for the system. By the time you by the system and jigs you are looking at around $600.:( I only have them sharpend once maybe twice a year and it would take over 10 years to pay for it self. The other thing is trying to get the boss to beleive I need to have it. Oh well maybe on of these years.

Byron Trantham
05-13-2007, 1:27 PM
I have been thinking about it. The prices I pay for sharpening are 6" jointer blades $2.50 each, 12, 1/2" planer blades $4.00 per edge, 10" saw blade 60 tooth$10 and cost per new tooth $3.00.The cost for one trip to his place comes to less then forty bucks, if I have all these done at once. At the rate he charges me it would take me several years to pay for the system. By the time you by the system and jigs you are looking at around $600.:( I only have them sharpend once maybe twice a year and it would take over 10 years to pay for it self. The other thing is trying to get the boss to beleive I need to have it. Oh well maybe on of these years.

Al,
I didn't save money sharpening MY blades, I made money sharpening other people's blades. If you get the word out that you can sharpen scissors and knives, you would be surprised how many people want it done. I charge $5 a knife or scissors. The amount was arbitrary. I didn't know what eh going rate was but I figured that if I took the time to get it out, set it up and then do the sharpening (which I guarantee) it's worth $5.:p