PDA

View Full Version : Hasn't been used for 39 years and still works

Phil Spencer
05-13-2007, 12:40 AM
I recently got my hands on one of my fathers blow lamps, the last time it was used was 39 years ago when I wanted to do some soldering. A bit of elbow grease to clean it up and new cap and pump washers and it fired up first go http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif

Ahh the smell of burnt Kerosene and the roar of the flame why don't they make tools like that any more http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/standard/confused.gif

Phil

Jude Kingery
05-13-2007, 1:01 AM
Phil, amen to that! I'm fortunate to have some of my Dad's old tools - which were made exceptionally well and function to this day. Glen picked up a blow lamp like this and it never dawned on me to try it out. (after cleaning it up as you did). Too cool! Way to go! Jude

Bart Leetch
05-13-2007, 1:11 AM
I have 3 of them & 1 actually works 1 is so old I just keep it to decorate the shop & the other I'm not sure about yet.

Phil Spencer
05-13-2007, 1:25 AM
Phil, amen to that! I'm fortunate to have some of my Dad's old tools - which were made exceptionally well and function to this day. Glen picked up a blow lamp like this and it never dawned on me to try it out. (after cleaning it up as you did). Too cool! Way to go! Jude

Thanks Jude

It does not take much to get them working, and they actually burn hotter than the new fangled gas things. Make sure that your pump washer is in good condition and that the cap washer is OK also make sure your jet is clean use a 'pricker' for this.

It is extremely satisfying to use old tools.:)

I also have and use some of my Grandfathers tools.

I have 3 of them & 1 actually works 1 is so old I just keep it to decorate the shop & the other I'm not sure about yet.

Yeah polished up they look great, I wanted to put this one in the lounge room but my wife said no.:(

Phil

Jude Kingery
05-13-2007, 1:55 AM
Phil, I appreciate that and I'll keep your instructions handy! Thank you! Jude

Phil Spencer
05-13-2007, 7:05 PM
Phil, I appreciate that and I'll keep your instructions handy! Thank you! Jude

Hi Jude
I forgot to mention that it would be a good idea to flush the tank with Methylated Spirits this will absorb any water from cleaning.

Phil

Ben Grunow
05-13-2007, 9:22 PM
I am sure I am not alone on this one... what's it fer?

Ben

Jude Kingery
05-13-2007, 9:31 PM
Thanks, Phil, will do if I decide to see if we can make it functional. Right now decorates a kitchen shelf! And we have an oxy/acetylene torch, as well as a little propane torch.

Ben, soldering projects. Sweating copper pipe, things like that I presume.
Jude

Phil Spencer
05-14-2007, 3:54 AM
I am sure I am not alone on this one... what's it fer?

Ben

My father used it for burning paint off houses.

I used it as a young bloke to heat up large soldering irons.

Phil

Ben Grunow
05-14-2007, 9:25 PM
Looks like it could cause a wicked brush fire if you dropped it in the bushes!

Nice resto. Old tools are great.

Randal Stevenson
05-15-2007, 12:32 AM
My father used it for burning paint off houses.

I used it as a young bloke to heat up large soldering irons.

Phil

Besides the irons, I was told, my great grandfather, used it in his trade as a plumber, to make those old lead pipes. I was told later one, that at one point some people used them in leading cars too. (pre bondo)

The only time I ever saw one used, was on a section of copper gutter. I was small enough that I was told to "not bug the man".