PDA

View Full Version : mystery wood NE

mike fuson
05-13-2007, 12:36 AM
This is a piece of I don't know what????? Nobody so far knows what it is. The only thought has been sour wood. Measures 7 1/2'' wide 6 1/2'' tall. Conversion varnish finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/mysteryneknotside.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/mysteryneblueside.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2007, 12:40 AM
No idea of the wood Mike but it sure makes for a nice NE! Nice form and you did a good job of keeping all the bark! I like the contrast between the color of the bowl and the bark. Nice work!

Jude Kingery
05-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Hey Mike,,

Not that I'm an expert, but this looks amazingly like some Pecan I turned once time. Bark is similar (very NICE job on saving that for your NE by the way) and then the grain and beige color, the knot, look like Pecan to me. Just a quess. Nice form and very nice execution all the same. Jude

Tom Sherman
05-13-2007, 9:24 AM
Mike that is a very nice dunnowood NE. Color me dumb but what is Conversion varnish?

Bernie Weishapl
05-13-2007, 9:59 AM
Mike that is another beauty. I really like the form. Wood kinda looks to me like pecan also that I turned. Nice job.

Glenn Hodges
05-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Mike, I don't care what type of wood it is. With your talent and this wood you have produced a lovely NE bowl. Keeping all the bark around the edges of a NE piece is one of the lovely features of a NE bowl. One should try and keep the bark as even in thickness as it appears you have doine here.

mike fuson
05-13-2007, 3:09 PM
Tom, conversion varnish is a cabinet finish. Since I own a cabinet shop it is really easy to run it back to the spray booth and spray it on. It is a very hard finish and its industrial so thats why you probably haven't heard of it.
As far as the wood goes it does favor pecan , but its not, I have some pecan in the shop right now and the bark is much deeper on this wood. I can tell you that I have several of these trees and they don't get much bigger than 10'' in diameter, and they always seem to grow crooked leaning one way or the other?????? beats me what it is.

Jude Kingery
05-13-2007, 3:51 PM
Mike, yep - I do see that upon looking again (deeper bark), couple ideas more - did it have any smells? Also maybe your County Extension Agent can tell you? Or if you pull off some leaves from one of your trees, maybe someone here can tell you. Beautiful piece of work regardless. Jude

Paul Andrews
05-14-2007, 6:52 AM
Mike,

Great looking piece. From the photo, the wood almost certainly is sour wood. The bark is distinctive, often refereed to as looking like alligator hide. The trees do not grow very large so the ones in your yard are nearing maturity. The largest piece that I have worked was 16", taken from the base of a tree.

Jonathon Spafford
05-15-2007, 1:55 AM
Could the wood be holly? Never turned it and I have no idea what the bark looks like, but holly is that creamy white with some brown patches! Anyhow, whatever the wood the piece is just gorgeous! I love the shape and the finish is perfect! Some excellent work!

Keith Burns
05-15-2007, 8:02 AM
Great piece Mike !! Dunno what the wood is either but I REALLY like it !!