PDA

View Full Version : Is this deal too good to pass up?

Steven Triggs
05-12-2007, 5:24 PM
I have a Delta TS-300 that I've been using for about 6 years now. It has been a nice saw because while it is light enough to move around, it is heavier and more solid than the lightest weight bench top saws. Now that I'm building my dedicated shop, I will be in the market for a "real" table saw in about 6 months to a year.

I noticed that Amazon has the 36-732 3HP with the 50-Inch Biesemeyer Fence for $913 including shipping. This looks like a steal of a deal. I think comparable saws are in the $1300-$1500 price range. I think typically for $900, you would get a lighter motor, and not nearly as good of a fence.

I have two questions:

1. Is this deal as incredible as it seems to me, or am I overlooking something or off on my numbers? Do I need to jump on this, even though it would mean having a giant dead weight to store somewhere until my shop is ready? Or, is this just good, but not great, and the sort of thing that I can just pass on figuring something similar will come around when I'm ready?

2. I already have an Incra fence that I'm very happy with. How much might I expect to be able to sell the Biesemeyer for?
This really isn't the best timing for me to drop the $900 on a saw, but i'd hate for waiting until I'm ready to cost me $400 or so.

Thanks for any input you have on this.

Paul Douglass
05-12-2007, 6:15 PM
Steven, I don't know about this saw, but, based on the customer reviews, i would be very cautious. They are not very good. When i just looked at the saw it is at $764. May it is a decient saw at that price.

Steven Triggs
05-12-2007, 7:53 PM
...based on the customer reviews, i would be very cautious. They are not very good.

Yeah, I noticed the reviews weren't so hot. I just find it very hard to glean much from the reviews on Amazon, it seems like often they are pretty non-objective. I'm hoping some people in this forum might have some first hand experience with this saw...

When i just looked at the saw it is at $764. May it is a decient saw at that price.
It is $764 + $149 shipping.

Frederick Rowe
05-12-2007, 8:11 PM
I personally would stay away from this saw. I get the feeling Delta introduced this saw to fill the gap between their contractor saws and the Unisaw. The Delta Hybrid was later brought into the line up (which I owned, and think is a nice saw for it's class), and I can only presume that Delta still sells enough of these to continue to have them produced. Before I bought my Unisaw, I looked hard at this one. I downloaded the owner's manual and found that the blade is mounted almost at the side of the insert. It actually is located between the insert and the table, making it impossible to use a zero clearance insert. It's cabinet mounted trunnions and 3 HP motor qualify it as a true cabinet saw, but even as a Delta owner, I'd say save up a bit more and get the real thing, Unisaws regularly go on sale on Amazon. If your budget doesn't allow more than $800, look at Grizzly.

Bob Segneri
05-12-2007, 8:16 PM
I have a Rigid TS3650, it's a 1 1/2hp 10" Contractor style saw. I've had it about two years and must say that I've been very happy with it.
you can check it out at home Depot google it. It weighs over 250lbs but is easy to move with it's mobil base

Lance Norris
05-12-2007, 9:23 PM
I have the 36-731. Same saw as the 732, just different fence. I have had this saw for almost a year now and it is excellent. People post here who dont own one and say "well... I wouldnt own one" What good is that? I do own one, and it will serve you well for the rest of your life. It is a well made saw and at under $1K is a steal. If you compare it to the Delta hybrid, it has 3 hp, 3 belt drive, magnetic switch, 220volt, and cabinet mounted trunnions. Much better for the same or less money. I seriously considered the Grizzly 1023, but the Delta had more rip capacity and came with the motor cover. Why does Grizzly make you buy the motor cover? Making zero clearance inserts is not a problem, the blade just comes through the opening near the table edge. No big deal. I would recommend this saw. The reviews at Amazon are helpful, but if you read them, alot of them are giving the saw bad marks because of shipping problems. There are several that say there are some problems, but you are going to have that with any tool. I say buy it and dont look back. I paid, with shipping, $1020, and am very happy.

Steven Triggs
05-13-2007, 12:27 AM
I see that Amazon also has the JET 708713XK for about the same price ($10 less). How do these compare? Anyone know of pros/cons for Delta vs. Jet. Anyone with personal experience on which to compare these two models?
The two saws look very similar. Both are 3HP.

Steven Triggs
05-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Well I decided to take the plunge and ordered the saw last night. It is supposed to arrive late this week or next week. I read back through the reviews, and I just don't feel too concerened by them. Several of them were positive, and the other two seemed a bit overly negative for what they said the problem was:

1. Complained of a non-standard throat plate. Don't we all make our own zero clearance and dado plates anyway? So this seems minor to me.

2. One person complained of an actual defect, a problem with a bearing. He said though that Delta was very helpful and sent someone to his house to fix it. With any equipment, whether a car or a tool, some number of them are going to have a defective part. What really counts here is whether the company stands behind it.

So, hopefully I won't have to put my foot in my mouth once i get it!:rolleyes:

I'll report back with my initial thoughts when it arrives...

Paul Douglass
05-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Well I decided to take the plunge and ordered the saw last night. It is supposed to arrive late this week or next week. I read back through the reviews, and I just don't feel too concerened by them. Several of them were positive, and the other two seemed a bit overly negative for what they said the problem was:

1. Complained of a non-standard throat plate. Don't we all make our own zero clearance and dado plates anyway? So this seems minor to me.

2. One person complained of an actual defect, a problem with a bearing. He said though that Delta was very helpful and sent someone to his house to fix it. With any equipment, whether a car or a tool, some number of them are going to have a defective part. What really counts here is whether the company stands behind it.

So, hopefully I won't have to put my foot in my mouth once i get it!:rolleyes:

I'll report back with my initial thoughts when it arrives...

Congrats! You won't be sorry, that is a lot of saw at that price. Sometimes we over worry it and make the decision too hard and in my humble opinion, most of these saw will do far more than most woodworkers ask of it. I just got a cabinet saw a while back and I still look at it in awe! I will never scratch the service of what it is capable of! Boy am I glad I finally bought one though. Can't wait till you get to try it. Let us know how you like it.

Steven Triggs
05-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Well the saw has arrived. It looks like it fared very well in shipping, no apparent damage or blemishes. I haven't been able to hook it up yet, as I don't have 240 volt available yet since the shop isn't complete.

very anxious...:D

Gary Muto
08-06-2007, 11:15 AM
I got the same saw through Rockler, except it has a T2 fence. Other thatn the odd throat plate, it seemed like a great deal. So far I'm happy, but I'm just a beginner. I've learned a lot from SMC on things to look for that can improve my tools and method. SO far my biggest problems have been with the operator

Don Bullock
08-06-2007, 4:44 PM
Steven, congratulations on your new saw. I hope you enjoy it.