PDA

View Full Version : Boice Crane vintage table saw...any good?

Ryan Kolarik
05-12-2007, 3:42 PM
Hi all,
I am new to the forum, but have been picking up a lot of good info over the past few weeks. I am a beginning woodworker, and am in the process of researching tools that I will need to get a workshop set up. I am only planning on pursuing wood working as a serious hobby.

Anyway, I am pretty sure I want a cabinet saw, and have been looking at lots of cabinet table saws lately ranging from Grizzly to Sawstop, but have also been keeping an eye open for used saws. I recently found a guy who is cleaning out a house and has a Boice Crane saw available. I think it is a model 2500, but I'm not sure. It looks like a 10 inch model with a 5/8" arbor. It has a big 3 hp 1 phase 230V motor hanging off the back that was made by Dayton(?) Co. in Chicago. It seems to be in decent shape, but is dirty and does have some surface rust. The fence looked ok, but I figure if I bought a used saw I would get an aftermarket fence (I really like the looks of the Incra) so the fence condition is a non-issue at this point. I didn't see any miter guage anywhere, so I assume its been lost. I didn't have a chance to do any runnout measurements or anything like that. He's asking $200 for the saw.

I'd like to get this forum's opinion on this model and manufacturer; quality, value, personal experience with similar saws, the asking price, etc... I know from a brief internet search that the company went out of business in the 80's, so I know replacement parts might be an issue if needed. I don't want to blow $200 on a 500 lb paper weight, but if its a reputable saw, I figure it might be a good purchase to help me get a shop started. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

John Shuk
05-12-2007, 4:29 PM
This might help. As far as I know they made nice machines but I'm sure someone will chime in with better info that that.

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?Tab=Publications&ID=111

Ed Falis
05-12-2007, 4:55 PM
For a couple hundred bucks, it looks like a deal. From what I could tell from the document John pointed you to, it's a "real" cabinet saw.

Jeffry Powers
03-12-2014, 10:36 AM
I just joined SawMillCreek and saw your post about the Boice Crane table saw from 2007. I'm wondering if you bought it? I have a Boice Crane cabinet saw that sounds very much like what you were looking at that I inherited from my father 30+ years ago and it's still going strong. The rip fence it getting tired, though and am thinking of replacing it. Any idea how hard that might be?