PDA

View Full Version : DP Table - Gloat

glenn bradley
05-12-2007, 3:41 PM
I will usually make something rather than buy it. Especially something like this but, the new DP was lonely. It's not that I'm cheap, I just need all the experience I can get and building jigs and shop cabinets is as good a way as any to rack some up. Seriously, it was on sale and with an email coupon it wasn't much more than the parts to build. I apologize to the jig-gods.

The instructions direct you to use the supplied sheet metal screws and fender washers to attach it to the existing DP table http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif . Being the way I am, I'll probably go for four 3/8" threaded inserts threaded in and epoxied with bolts and washers from underneath.

I'll post more shots once installed.

mark page
05-12-2007, 4:14 PM
Hi Glenn,

Clue us in on where you got it and purchase price.

John Shuk
05-12-2007, 4:25 PM
I've had the same table for a few years now and I love it. I got it from Woodpeckers at a show for about $90. Very happy with it.

glenn bradley
05-12-2007, 4:56 PM
Hi Glenn,

Clue us in on where you got it and purchase price.

It's a Woodpecker product. Currently $129. It was on sale for $99, I paid just under that delivered. If you sign up for Woodpeckers email specials they send you various items at a special price, coupon codes, etc. I started adding up the flip stops, track, scales, knobs, etc. Then I added the 1" phenolic coated (both sides) plywood and pretty well gave it up and just ordered it. I will have to check now that I have it in my hands but I am hoping the rear cut out will allow my 17-950 table to tilt to the 45* stops each way without hitting the post.

http://www.woodpeck.com/quickstoplpdptable.html

mark page
05-12-2007, 6:49 PM
Glenn,

Let me know how it goes on the 17-950 as I have the same DP. I know this model can be finicky on adding equipment. Still interested in the same setup as looks mighty fine.

J D Thomas
05-12-2007, 7:07 PM
This is like deja vu. I had the same opportunity last year. I was working on designing my own DP table, and even went to Woodpecker's site for inspiration. That's when I signed up for their eClub. A couple of months later, they sent me a special on the same table, $99 shipped. I could not have built it for any less.

Glenn, a couple of thoughts about mounting. I didn't like the pan head screws that came with the table, so I opted to use 1/4-20 hex bolts mated with threaded inserts. I also mounted the table offset, so the bit lines up with the center of the lower left quadrant of the MDF insert. This way each insert gets 4 times as much wear.

Good luck with your table. You're gonna love it.

L8R
JD

Jim Becker
05-12-2007, 9:25 PM
That's a nice one, Glenn! Anyone using a DP in a woodworking shop should make or buy something of this ilk for their tool...it makes everything so much more pleasurable and often even safer!

Roy McQuay
05-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Nice add on Glenn. I get the emails from Woodpeckers too. I have the same DP but don't have the table. Maybe next time. It sure looks useful.

glenn bradley
05-13-2007, 3:08 AM
JD,

Thanks for the ideas. My original plan was to have a circular insert to allow shifting it as it wore. The reach on my DP will place the insert off center front to back. I'm hoping to be able to shift it a bit to one side as well if it won't interfere with the tilt feature.

Roy,

The table itself is not that much bigger than the stock table. On my previous table (shop built) I became addicted to the fence and stops. I knew I wanted something for the new DP. The timing just happened to be right.

Mike Cutler
05-13-2007, 5:09 AM
Nice Gloat Glen. That was one of the first "Store Bought Jigs" for me also. Mine is an Incra, but virtually the same.
I've had mine on the DP for 5 yrs??? One of the best purchases I've made in my opinion. It adds a whole new dimension to the "lowly" drill press.

One limitation for me, with a Delta press, is that the crank handle to raise and lower the table doesn't rotate with the table installed. A cheap 1/2" drive ratchet, extension and 24mm socket cured that.

I've also adapted a machinist vise to slide in the T-Tracks.

Byron Trantham
05-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Nice Gloat Glen. That was one of the first "Store Bought Jigs" for me also. Mine is an Incra, but virtually the same.
I've had mine on the DP for 5 yrs??? One of the best purchases I've made in my opinion. It adds a whole new dimension to the "lowly" drill press.

One limitation for me, with a Delta press, is that the crank handle to raise and lower the table doesn't rotate with the table installed. A cheap 1/2" drive ratchet, extension and 24mm socket cured that.

Mike - BRILLANT!
I have the same setup and foought that problem for ever. 24mm socket? cool! I'll be buying a ratchet setup soon. Thanks.

Martin Shupe
05-13-2007, 3:14 PM
Did anyone else notice the Delta DP ad in the center of the last issue of Popular Woodworking? It had a nice, rectangular metal DP table as part of a new line of DP's. I wonder if I can get a new table for my "old" Delta DP?

glenn bradley
05-13-2007, 3:27 PM
Martin,

That is the table on my DP but I was wanting the fence and stops. My first idea was to just use the original table's t-slots and make the fence but I like the scales for estimating depth from the column like I built on my old shop made table. After going through a few ideas, I went with the add on table.

Mike,

Great tip on the socket idea. My raise/lower handle on the 17-950 is at a 45* angle from my old Delta and seems like it'll work, If not I will definitely take you up on your idea. . . thanks.

Rob Blaustein
05-13-2007, 5:27 PM

I have the same Woodpecker unit and like it a lot but always wish I could have more accurate x-y movement. I like the vise idea but was also wondering about mounting the DP table on top of a machinist vise, rather than the way you did it Mike, so that you can move the entire table in the x-y plane. I thought I saw someone here do something like that, does anyone remember?

Mike Cutler
05-13-2007, 6:26 PM
I've seen it done on Benchtop Mortising machines quite frequently. In fact I have an El Cheapo XY vise on my Mortiser.
You could easily adapt an XY vise to your table, but I don't think the table would be properly supported in a vise.
I think what you are looking for is an XY sliding table, similar to a milling machine table to mount your table to. Not so cheap though. i've been looking for awhile now.
The beauty of Glenn's table is that it's "set it and forget it". Once it's setup for a task it's very repeatable.

glenn bradley
05-14-2007, 8:50 PM
Mark,

OK, got it mounted. Its sweet. First off, with the factory-table height-crank being at a 45 neither it or the column lock have any problem being used. On our DP you can mount the table flush with the front of the factory table and about an inch to the right of center. This does a few things:

The insert is now centered just off toward one corner. This allows four uses (or four different uses) for the same insert. I plan to have one with four different sanding drum holes in it.64634

This allows even more room (although it is not needed) to operate the height crank.64632

The fence can go all the way back to the column and not run out of hold down track.64633

You can use the forward tilt without hitting the lasers and the right left tilt work well too.64635

The hold downs can still reach the business area of the DP.Even if our DP didn't have the table that tilts all over the place I wouldn't have used the sheet metal screws and fender washers that are supplied for mounting. I used threaded inserts and the x-slot holes for mounting.

I'll hope the pics will help you and also hope I haven't beat this thread to death with everyone else.

Cary Swoveland
11-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Mike - BRILLANT!
I have the same setup and foought that problem for ever. 24mm socket? cool! I'll be buying a ratchet setup soon. Thanks.

Hmmm.

Do you have a variable-speed corded drill you're not using...?

Cary

Rob Will
11-02-2007, 5:41 AM
Glenn, thanks for the idea. I have one of the Delta drill presses on order. That table looks like a good addition.

Rob

Greg Cole
11-02-2007, 8:57 AM
Nice score Glen, I am sure you will like it.
I've got some Incra-Woodpeck stuff and I have nothing to complain about.. matter of fact I just ordered a bunch of t-track, scale track, miter sliders, hold downs, flip stops & 3 peices of the phenolic ply Glenn mentioned. I got bored on Sunday listening to the Nascar race in the shop and started earmaking pages in the Woodpeck catalog & before I knew it I was sitting at the computer......
I am finally going to build a cross cut sled for the TS that is not made from scraps and just "thrown" together. Also going to make a CMS table with flip stops & scale track..... the left over phenolic ply is hopefully going to be large enough of a short outfeed ext. for the TS.
Unfortunaltely after I send over $400 off to Woodpeck, I get the e-club e-mail about 10% off everything.... with the "WP10" code at checkout. The 10% off woulda at least covered shipping. :cool:
Where is that big brown truck???

Greg

Dave Hale
11-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Greg,

Call Woodpeck, bet they'll honor the discount.
I had ordered something in the past and forgot to put in the discount code and they took care of it.

glenn bradley
11-02-2007, 5:18 PM
I agree. Call them, I'll bet its no problem.