PDA

View Full Version : Dc duct question

Craig D Peltier
05-12-2007, 1:50 PM
Hi Creekers,hope your having a good saturday.

I have a question, see diagram for better understanding. Should both blast gates be open even though only running one unit at a time? The reason it made me think is if just one is open, then the chips can fall back into the other Y side thats not open and build up a foot before it catches up with the open one.
Also has anyone used 4" dryer duct for chip movement? Is it not smooth enough inside to carry them efficiently? IM trying it but not enough time with it yet to know.

Last question, This unit is a delta 1.5hp, I think 1200 cfm, im runnning one y duct 4". Is this unit capable of sucking chips from the floor straight up to ceiling (9')and then carry about 10 feet across to DC. I looked in the book that came with it and nothing has specs like that.
Also a unit of this size can I split off another Y so I have 3 or 4 units hooked up all the time or do I need a bigger unit.I would be using blast gates at important flow cutoff areas.

Thanks for helping.

Al Killian
05-12-2007, 2:28 PM
I am not sure about the blast gates. As far as the dryer hose, are you talking about the plast stuff? If so, yes I haved used it for short peices to hook my planer to the dc main line. The problems with it are: It is very thin and rips easy and it creates alot of turbulance which will slow down the air. I am sure others with more experance will chime in.

glenn bradley
05-12-2007, 3:13 PM
On the Y question. I wouldn't be concerned about a foot of chips setting there although I doubt it would get quite that full. When you open the gate to use the other machine the chip-blockage will probably rain down into the previously unused hose and spread out such that it should suck through no problem (I just made that up but it sounds good).

I'm with Al on the dryer hose although I have seen folks use the metal (stiff) stuff in pictures here. Penn State Ind. has a high flex hose that is pretty darn cheap and goes on sale now and again. I have a couple runs of it I was going to use just to get by and "there they still are".

I have the 1HP Delta (your's rates much, much better in the tests) and I have never had any material gather in the ducts. I do not go up to the ceiling however. I'd test it out before I got too permanent. Even if you do install the duct; if your current machine won't do the job then, like me, you will probably re-deploy it to one or two machines and save your pennies for a larger unit (I'm still saving).

Remember, it wouldn't be any fun if we could have whatever we want right away . . . where's the challenge in that? ;-)

Craig D Peltier
05-12-2007, 6:17 PM
Thanks Glen and Al, I bookmarked Penn. Cheapest I found and wasnt by much for DC stuff was woodworkingshop (dot) com.

Craig

Keith Beck
05-12-2007, 7:14 PM
Do you mean the dryer duct hose I have running to my planer and band saw? If that's the one you're referring to, I use it in conjunction with my 2hp DC and PVC ducting and it works great. It holds its position without sagging like the heavy flexible DC ducting does.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/ldoforcno/DSC02808459x465.jpg
Keith

Craig D Peltier
05-12-2007, 8:19 PM
Yes sir, Im hoping it works fine.I have real hose going to jointer but the dryer tube will be a nomad going to planer,TS an chop saw.
Do you mean the dryer duct hose I have running to my planer and band saw? If that's the one you're referring to, I use it in conjunction with my 2hp DC and PVC ducting and it works great. It holds its position without sagging like the heavy flexible DC ducting does.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/ldoforcno/DSC02808459x465.jpg
Keith

Scott Taylor
05-13-2007, 9:16 PM
Craig, you might consider swapping roles. The dryer hose might not hold up to the constant moving whereas the DC hose is pretty durable.