PDA

View Full Version : Portable filtration for laser engravers

Ken Nelsen
01-03-2004, 1:41 PM
Hi to all,
Does anyone have any info or plans for making a portable filtration system for a laser engraver suitable for doing shows/conventions indoors?
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Ken

Keith Outten
01-03-2004, 4:30 PM
Ken,

Some time ago I remember discussing filters with someone. Sorry but I don't remember the details of the conversation but I do remember that the price they quoted me was very steep, way out of my price range.

Building your own might be the ticket. Since you are not only trying to filter out particles but odor as well, the filters will be very expensive. A small one horse dust collector will do for the fan.

Ken Nelsen
01-07-2004, 9:03 AM
I sent an e-mail to Universal regarding these filtration systems. Got a couple of names of companies who supply them. You're right Keith, a bit pricey. The first quote for a bare minimum set up was over $800. Ouch.
Here's there web addresses if anyone is curious.

Fumex – 800-462-7550, www.fumexinc.com

Impell – 770-614-7701, www.impell.com
Later,
Ken

BobRacine
01-20-2004, 11:16 AM
I'm getting ready to do some research on building my own filtration system. If any of you have any information other then what has been posted it will be greatly appreciated. What I'm looking to do is make a box that will contain my filtration material and double as a table for my laser.
Thanks
Bob R.

Ken Nelsen
01-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi Bob,
I got a couple of drawings sent to me by Epilog on a basic formula for a filter box. Might be a good starting point for making one.
Later, Ken

Keith Outten
04-13-2004, 5:36 AM
Laserbits has just included exhaust filter units in their new catalog. Starting at $3,695.00 they aren't cheap. The filter refills are $169.00 each, I can't say how long a filter would last and how it would effect cost of engraving, I would imagine it would depend heavily on what type of material you are using.