PDA

View Full Version : New shop in progress...

Steven Triggs
05-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Hello all. I'm building a new workshop, and have seen that people here seem to enjoy looking at these while in progress, so I figured I'd post mine.

It is an attached addition to the existing house. It provides a 20' x 26' section for the woodshop, and a 14.5' x 24' section for working on my '67 Cougar. The ceiling on the woodshop side is 10', and the celing on the car side is done as a cathedral ranging from 10' minimum to ~ 13' maximum. I did the cathedral ceiling to allow room in case I ever install a lift.

I contracted out the concrete slab, and I, with the help of friends and family, am doing all the rest. It is going very slowly (about 6 months in now), but it'll get there. The roof is done, and we've started the siding, and I'm about to start the electrical.

Enjoy the pictures, and let me know what you think...

Steven

Steven Triggs
05-11-2007, 11:59 PM
more pics...

Steven Triggs
05-12-2007, 12:04 AM
still more...

Steven Triggs
05-12-2007, 12:05 AM
and more...

Steven Triggs
05-12-2007, 12:07 AM
last ones for now...

Jim Dunn
05-12-2007, 8:39 AM
Very impressive building/shop there Steven. I like the roof line and looks like it should serve you well as a shop.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-12-2007, 9:01 AM
Sweet! I love the roof line as well. Really goes well with the house. Just finished my shop so I can attest that you're gonna love having the dedicated space.

Howie French
05-12-2007, 9:18 AM
great looking addition, use it well

Howie

Art Mulder
05-12-2007, 9:23 AM
Hey, looking good! The design seems to really fit well with the house. How about a picture from farther back, to see the whole house?

Too bad about that one window on the 2nd floor of the house that got blocked. I hope that room has other windows in it? Losing natural light is not good. Or are you going to relocate it to the right, or further up?

thanks for the photos
...art

Jim O'Dell
05-12-2007, 9:37 AM
Art has the same observations I have. The design was well thought out, and blends very well with the house. You're doing good for 6 months in! Jim.

Jim Becker
05-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Looks nice and I agree with the others...it "fits in" which is so important to an attached addition. Great job!

Steven Triggs
05-12-2007, 11:29 AM
...How about a picture from farther back, to see the whole house?

Too bad about that one window on the 2nd floor of the house...

This photo is from further back...

The window that was lost is in the master bedroom. Fortunately, there were already windows along the back wall, so it isn't a big deal. The window's been gone for a few months now, and we've not cared thus far. If we ever do, there is plenty of wall space to add additional windows along the back wall.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Steven Triggs
05-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Well I started fishing the wire for the 20 Amp general receptacle circuits this weekend. I got a late start so I only got about 10% or so of it run, but its a start...

Mitchell Andrus
05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I was wondering about that too. If a bedroom, code should call for a 5.7 s.f. egress window.

Oh, yea. I'm VERY green!!!!!

Steven Triggs
05-14-2007, 2:19 PM
I was wondering about that too. If a bedroom, code should call for a 5.7 s.f. egress window.

Yep, the bedroom has two other windows on the back, so still meets egress code. They are also large enough to meet the "square feet of window to square feet of floorspace" minimum requirment.

Gary Warren
05-14-2007, 7:09 PM
Have you made a plan for the layout of your tools? I would be interested in seeing such because I am building (in a few months) a shop (wood) about the same size as yours. Let me know if you have anything drawn up. Thanks and great job on the quality of the construction.

Steven Triggs
05-22-2007, 9:03 PM
Have you made a plan for the layout of your tools?

I'm still trying to work out the layout. I don't have anything useful on paper yet. :rolleyes:

Pat Germain
05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Hey, where's the '67 Cougar? Oh, wait, we're on a woodworking forum here, aren't we? (I drove a '69 Cougar daily for 12 years. Obviously, I dig those cars.)

Steven Triggs
05-22-2007, 11:01 PM
...where's the '67 Cougar?...

Here you go...

Pat Germain
05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
^^Sah-weet! I see you're missing the rear cowel just like my Cougar for 8 of the 12 years I drove it. I expect you'll be installing it any day now. ;)

Steven Triggs
05-22-2007, 11:17 PM
^^...I see you're missing the rear cowel...

Actually, I've got it, but it needs a little work before I paint it. It is a bit dinged up, and by "bit" I mean "lot":D

Hopefully, if I ever finish this shop, I'll get back to working on it. Umm...only after I get caught up on woodworking, of course. ;)