PDA

View Full Version : Friday night at the Lathe!

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-03-2004, 1:21 PM
I am finally getting some much needed Lathe Time...........finally got caught up with other, less important things! ;) I turned this Box Elder Bowl Friday evening, and I have one coat of Tung Oil on it so far. I decided to burn a ring into the top rim portion of the Bowl, just to try my hand at it, and for something different. I used a piece of Piano Wire I had laying around, an although it takes a while to heat up, it did the job. I kinda like the look.........it is something different for a change. The Bowl is 10 1/2" in diameter, and about 4 1/2" tall. It needs a few more coats of Tung Oil..........and the jury is out whether I will buff this one or leave it as is. I am getting better at sanding and staying with it until it is smooooooth! Remember, patience is the New Years thing for me? :D Thanks for taking a look.........as always, I appreciate the chance to share my work with the SMC Gang! :)

Jim Becker
01-03-2004, 4:18 PM
Kevin, that's a very nice turning and the burnt decoration looks great over the very creamy box elder. This wood is a pleasure to turn, too...get all you can of it!

Ace Karner
01-03-2004, 8:28 PM
Not bad for a Knuckle dragger. :p

Seriously Kev, nice piece of work.

Ace

Von Bickley
01-03-2004, 8:33 PM
Kevin,
Great looking bowl. The burn ring at the top sets it off.

Bob Lasley
01-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Kevin,

I love it! When I first looked at the pic, I thought you had done a glue up with a piece of veneer. I really, really like that box elder with the red streaks and even a little worm work on this one.

Keep it going,
Bob

Dave Avery
01-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Great work Kevin..... I have to admit that I'm not a turner, and some of the bowls posted here don't do a great deal for me, but I REALLY LIKE this one. Keep up the great work. Dave.

Todd Burch
01-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Kevin, that's about a good sized popcorn bowl!

Red Rover, Red Rover, send one right over!

Todd.

John Miliunas
01-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Really neat, Kev! I think the burned in banding really accents the piece beautifully. So, figure out what flat work tools you're going to be selling off yet? :D :cool:

Glenn Hodges
01-04-2004, 7:31 AM
Good looking bowl, I like box elder. I also like a good sound foot as the one you have on this one.

Sparky Paessler
01-04-2004, 8:05 AM
Great looking bowl! I have to get me some Box Elder to try. Keep up the good work.

Terry Quiram
01-04-2004, 9:04 AM
Kevin

Is your Box Elder dry or is your bowl going to move? Nice form. I think this size is just about perfect.

Terry

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-04-2004, 9:13 AM
Terry, the Box Elder is dry. The tree was standing dead for over a year when I took it down last fall. The first couple of bowls I turned from it moved ever so slightly, and I made sure I used the least spalted/streaked small sections when I turned them. (I kinda figured they would move some, but being new to this, I really wanted to see the movement firsthand, and see how much movement actually takes place.) This Bowl has no noticable moisture at all, and so far, so good. I do think that the Box Elder has reached a dry point where there will be no movement. So, it is ready to go. I have it stored in my basement, and I run the dehumidifier always, so I am sure that helped it too. I still have plenty left Terry................and I have several with your name on them! :D

Dave Smith
01-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Very nice. Very pleasing shape. The inside bottom appears to be flat. You might experiment with a curved bottom and see how you like it. I know you will have to turn an other bowl to try it but you have to sacrifice when you are learning.

Dave Smith

Too much snow in Longview, WA.

Tom Sweeney
01-04-2004, 3:09 PM
Looks like Box Elder takes the burning in very nicely - really accentuates the piece. beautiful form also I like how the foot kind of splays out at the bottom. Very nice job all around - definately a keeper.

I'd like to make an official request:
Could all you guys & gals refrain from posting any turning pics for a few weeks. I've resolved to not turn on the lathe until I have my shop in order & a tune up done on all my tools. Posting pics like this is just too much temptation for me to handle, especially with 8 big box elder logs staring at me everytime I walk out to the shop. :rolleyes: (no offers of taking them off my hands please :) )