PDA

View Full Version : First large NE bowl

Rich Chilcot
05-11-2007, 8:26 PM
This was extremely tough to turn. It maybe my last attempt to turn a piece of red oak. Not only did I end up with black hands from the oak, but I had to dodge numerous pieces of bark during the process. The bowl is 12" in the largest dimension and Danish oil finish.

Steve Schlumpf
05-11-2007, 9:47 PM
Rich - I like it! I've yet to try a NE bowl but have seen a number of them lately that have gotten me interested in giving it a try. Nice work and glad you didn't get hit with the flying bark!

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Rich you did a nice job on that bowl. Oak is not my favorite to turn but you did it justice.

Tom Sherman
05-12-2007, 6:50 AM
Rich you've got a nice'un there, don't give up on the old oak. Look for a post from Chris Hartley he's the master of Oak and may be able to share some pointers. As for the black stain on your hands I've heard that lemon juice may help remove it, not tried it myself yet though.

George Tokarev
05-12-2007, 9:59 AM
C'mon, aren't you just a bit proud of it? Ought to be.

Lemon juice will do the hands. Oak's worth the effort in saleability, if my experience is any indication. You don't have to dodge bark if you cut from a position out of the way. Makes one less thing to worry about.

Tony De Masi
05-12-2007, 1:34 PM
Rich, great job on that one. Now that you've started to post your pics here you must now take the next step and bring it to the next club meeting.

Tony

Ken LaSota
05-14-2007, 7:11 PM
Rich nice job ,ak is not the easiest to turn ,but you did a fine job with the piece.
Ken

Jonathon Spafford
05-15-2007, 2:02 AM
Excellent piece... I have always like natural edge pieces and this is beautiful one! Great work!

Keith Burns
05-15-2007, 8:44 AM
Nice job Rich !!:)

TYLER WOOD
05-15-2007, 10:52 AM
My first turning was red oak, blew the sucker up!!! Not easy but the rewards if it stays together are splendid!!! Good looking NE piece!