PDA

View Full Version : Chain & Bar Oil Question

Jason Christenson
05-11-2007, 7:38 PM
What's the best chain & bar oil to use during the summer? The stuff I'm using is making quite a mess.

Jason

Leo Pashea
05-11-2007, 8:03 PM
The best I have found is Stihl. It has additives to reduce "sling-off". The oil does no good if it won't adhere to the bar and chain. Cheap bar oil is exactly that, cheap. A gallon of good quality bar oil is cheaper than replacing bars and/or chains.

Rich Chilcot
05-11-2007, 8:28 PM
I use Amzoil bar and chain oil. It is expensive, but it clings extremely well to the chain.

Andrew Williams
05-11-2007, 9:05 PM
I use the Stihl stuff. It is quite thick so it runs very slowly in the winter.

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I use Stihl products and have had no problems. I use it in all my saws.

Dennis Peacock
05-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Amsoil or Stihl bar/chain oil...both have the anti-sling additive in them and helps to extend the life of your chain and your bar. The cheap stuff only slings off fairly easily and leaves precious little lube for the chain or bar. Lesson learned the hard way. :rolleyes: :D

Jim Bell
05-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I use the amsoil Chain and Bar Oil. I also use the two stroke synthetic oil and fuel stabilizer in my Stihl Chain Saw. The stuff just works.

Pat Doble
05-12-2007, 1:52 AM
Another vote for Stihl here. Haven't used anything else but have been very happy with it.

Jason Christenson
05-12-2007, 3:43 PM
I picked up a quart of Stihl this morning. Hopefully it will make a difference. Thanks.

Al Wasser
05-13-2007, 11:12 AM
30 wt motor oil is all you need. The hi priced stuff is a waste of $. The key to preventing excess chain and bar wear is is proper chain tension and not the oil you use. A one point in my career with the Forest Service we had crews using probably 30 saws and all we ever used for oil was Par (conoco) reclaimed motor oil. I personally cut my fire wood for about 30 yrs and all I ever used was motor oil.