PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ohio metal planes

Adriaan Schepel
05-11-2007, 6:55 PM
G'day everyone.

Just curious ...

Did the Ohio Tool Co. of Auburn N.Y. ever put tapered laminated irons into their Bailey-style bench planes?

Almost all the Ohio planes I've seen have been woodies, so I thought I'd ask those who know.

Cheers,
Adriaan

Clint Jones
05-11-2007, 7:50 PM
Ohio makes a standard set of metallic bench planes like stanley. They range from No.01 to No.08. The have tapered irons like wood planes. They are good users . No.01 and No.02 are very scarce and are collectable (more valuable than their Stanley equivalent).

Adriaan Schepel
05-11-2007, 9:19 PM
Thanks, Clint. I have the No. 8 size with a corrugated sole. I just wasn't sure about the iron; I've never seen a tapered iron on a Bailey-style plane.

Cheers,
Adriaan

James Mittlefehldt
05-13-2007, 10:19 PM
I have a 04 1/4, 05, and 07 they all had the thick tapered blades, they are all users, and generally are less expensive than their Stanley counterparts.

One difference is the 04 1/4 which is a wider blade than the 04, they also made a 04 1/2 and 04 3/4 both wider than the 04.

Dale Warder
05-14-2007, 1:02 PM
I have a 06 & 08. Both have Globe brand tapered laminated irons. These irons are virtually chatter free.

Adriaan Schepel
05-14-2007, 5:57 PM
I wonder if they contracted out some of the irons to other companies or foundries? Though mine is just marked 'Ohio Tool Co Thistle Brand Auburn N.Y.' or something like that.

Cheers,
Adriaan

nic obie
05-15-2007, 2:26 PM
Eclipse also sold a plane that had a tapered blade.

I ended up with one that was trashed, but I did get $15 for the cutting iron on ebay. If I remember right, it was tapered from .10" to .25" at the business end. I thought about opening up the mouth on one of my Stanleys, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

James Mittlefehldt
05-15-2007, 3:49 PM
In their latter stages of existence Ohio Tool owned Auburn tool works and the thistle brand,Star and New York Tool Company, all of which were I gather marketing names of Auburn tool works.

Adriaan Schepel
05-15-2007, 5:43 PM
It was interesting to me to discover that Mr Hock and others weren't the first ones to think of putting thick blades into Bailey-pattern planes.

I look fwd to seeing how much it reduces chatter. However, I'm not so sure about the bedding of the frog; doesn't look like it has as much contact as an old Bailey.

Doug Littlejohn
05-15-2007, 6:57 PM
Clint, I have a #2 sized metal plane, Stanley style but have been unable to determine who made it.

Do you know where I can get more detailed information on Ohio planes or any other old manufacturors of Stanley type planes??

Thanks,

Doug

Clint Jones
05-15-2007, 7:06 PM
Doug Pm me. There are no sites for this information it is scattered. I can tell you exactly who made it.

James Mittlefehldt
05-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Doug quick way to tell is if the number on the plane starts with 0, and the front tote is the old style Stanley ie mushroomed shape, than it is am Ohio Tool plane. Usually the blade will say as much also. If it is somthing else than I can't help you.

Doug Littlejohn
05-16-2007, 3:59 PM
Well, there is no 'O' in front of the '2', just 'No' on the left of the knob and '2' on the right. In fact, I'm not even sure where the knob and tote are for this guy, I'll have to dig around some more to find them.

The plane I think was originally gray and the previous owner thought he'd paint it a pretty green (yuck!!) andway, he gave it to me so beggers can't be choosers. It has a small chip on the rear of the mouth, messes it up as a colloector piece but not as a user and since it was given to me, I won't sell it, just want to restore it (but to what is the question).

There are ZERO other marks on the plane body, frog, cap iron and the blade says "Stiletto". I've been in contact with them (Stiletto,no help there, made blades a long time ago for several different folks) and the blade is tapered and appears to be laminated.

Clint - I'll PM some pics for you.

THanks all

Adriaan Schepel
05-26-2007, 3:02 AM
What sort of timber is it that Ohio have used for the handles on their metal planes? They do all appear to be the same sort of lighter colour.

Cheers,
Adriaan

P.S. While we're on woods ... some of you will notice that Phil from the British "Philsville" site has recently acquired a Krenov-made plane in a stripy timber (there's a link to photos of it on his page) ... what species is that?

James Mittlefehldt
05-26-2007, 12:49 PM
What sort of timber is it that Ohio have used for the handles on their metal planes? They do all appear to be the same sort of lighter colour.

Cheers,
Adriaan

P.S. While we're on woods ... some of you will notice that Phil from the British "Philsville" site has recently acquired a Krenov-made plane in a stripy timber (there's a link to photos of it on his page) ... what species is that?

Hard to say I have a copy of their 1910 catalogue and it does not specify which wood they used. Their chisels had polished hickory handles, and their wood planes which they had made for years were beech, but the metal planes are not specified so perhaps it varied.

Correction to my earlier post they only made the 4 1/4, and 4 1/2 but they did offer both as a C.

Adriaan Schepel
05-26-2007, 5:13 PM
Thanks, James. The one I have does not appear to have a grain pattern typical of beech. I was wondering if it was apple, but it might not be dark enough.

Cheers,
Adriaan

Tomi Rosso
02-03-2017, 4:45 AM
Again old thread, but start is just what I have in my mind too.

I just bought Ohio Tool number 4 hand plane.

No other marking at body, than 04 at front. Quite heavy. Casting seems quite thick at bottom.

That round logo, at center reads Ohio. At sides Ohio Tool Company, Columbus, Ohio, USA, Auburn, NY. Iron is tapered and laminated. In my opinion, quite manly looking iron.

Here is also pictures at frog and body under the frog.

I don't know much about these. Do anybody know when this kind of planes are made? I read that 1913 flood washed the factory away and new was build at Charleston. Do they use that Columbus stamped logo after that? And there was also pictures plane which have some different kind of frog seating. And some patentdates on body. Are those older or newer? When Ohio Tools started to make metal planes?

I kind of like feeling of this plane.

BR,
Petri

Stewie Simpson
02-03-2017, 5:22 AM
It looks like the tongue on the adjuster yoke is much longer than that of Stanley's that used constant thickness irons, but it doesn't explain how Ohio were able to maintain constant pressure on the lever cap when the depth of cut was altered. As was mentioned, tapered irons were commonly restricted to wooden bodied planes that rely on a wooden wedge and not a threaded depth adjuster.

steven c newman
02-03-2017, 9:26 AM
I have an 0-7 down in the shop. I may get down there today and look it over. I seem to recall the iron was not tapered, the hole at the end of the slot is a six sided affair. It also had the Globe logo.
In fact, it actually...
Had snapped, I had a friend wire-weld the iron back together....
Seems to work nicely, now.
I cleaned up the bottom of the frog,
Among other things.
This was before I cleaned the frog'seat.

At one time, I also had a "Savage #6" with basically all the same features. Neither of these had a tapered iron......
My 0-35 does have a tapered iron The 0-7 is sitting behind it..

Tomi Rosso
02-15-2017, 7:10 AM
I have tried to dug some info about these. Quite hard seems to be.

We noticed that there are two different Globe logos. One says Columbus and another Charleston. At in advertisements logo was changed between 03.1914 to 05.1914. Don't know when it changed at real products.

Do anyone knows is there Ohio Tool catalog available to download at some page? I could not found any. Only those who was selling old or reprinted versions.

Jim Koepke
02-15-2017, 11:41 AM
I have tried to dug some info about these. Quite hard seems to be.

We noticed that there are two different Globe logos. One says Columbus and another Charleston. At in advertisements logo was changed between 03.1914 to 05.1914. Don't know when it changed at real products.

Do anyone knows is there Ohio Tool catalog available to download at some page? I could not found any. Only those who was selling old or reprinted versions.

The site most of those things are found only has a few old invoices and magazine advertisement:

http://www.toolemera.com/Manufacturers%20%26%20Merchants/mfg.html

Here is site with a few pages on planes from an Ohio Tool Catalog:

https://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioOhio.html

Jim Bode wants $325 for his copy of the catalog.

jtk

Tomi Rosso
02-15-2017, 3:09 PM
Jim Bode wants $325 for his copy of the catalog.

Yeah, I am interested of those, but not that price.... :) Quite expensive....

Stew Denton
02-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Adriaan,

I restored an OHIO 04 that was my grandfathers, and as a part of that had to chase down a lot of parts, including the iron and chip breaker. All of the metal OHIO planes I was able to see photos of were on Ebay, and there were only a tiny number over the period of about 6 months to a year that I looked.

What I can say is that as far as I remember all of the metal body OHIO planes that I saw had tapered irons like were used in wooden planes.

My grandfathers plane also now also has a tapered OHIO iron.

Tomi, the body on my grandfathers plane if virtually identical to your plane, as is the frog, with a couple of differences, but the only differences are in the marking, not in the basic casting of the body.

The first difference is that behind the frog but in front of the tote is the word "OHIO" cast in raised letters. On the toe in front of, but partially covered by the base of the knob, also in raised letters, is "No 04."

Edit: I also just noted the difference in the end piece on the horizontal adjuster lever. My plane does not have the round Stanley type wheel that contacts the iron/chip breaker assembly, rather the end is just bent up to be perpendicular to the slot, a cheaper approach. As I mentioned in the other post on these old OHIO planes, that makes me think that your plane is a later type number than my plane is.

Stew