PDA

View Full Version : Kerf hinges splitting back of box

Bob Reda
05-11-2007, 6:10 PM
I am having trouble with my kerf hinges splitting the back of the boxes. I use the offset hinges so I dont have to miter and bevel the back. When I go to insert the hinge it splits the back of the box along the grain, Since I put all my boxes together first and then cut off the lid it does the same thing on the lid portion. Any ideas or suggestions?

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-11-2007, 9:43 PM
Any ideas or suggestions?

Make the kerf bigger or tap the hinge wedges down before inserting 'em and use epoxy.

nic obie
05-12-2007, 1:25 PM
Make the kerf bigger or tap the hinge wedges down before inserting 'em and use epoxy.

That's what I do when using thin stock.

Corey Hallagan
05-12-2007, 3:13 PM
What size of stock are you using? I have used them twice in different sizes.. I like them and I have always had to put a groove and chamfer in the back so they open and close properly. I center the kerf in the stock. If you are putting them in the very back edge to avoid having to make a groove and chamfer maybe you are not leaving enough material on the back side and it is causing it to split out the thin wood?

Corey

Bob Reda
05-12-2007, 5:14 PM
Corey,
I'm using 5/8" stock. I use the hinge that is 3/16" offset so I don't have to bevel the ends. The barrell sticks outside the box, my kerf is 3/16" in. I've also seen other boxes that I didn't make have the same probelm. So I guess I'll tap in the sides and expoy.

Thanks all!

Bob