PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw Question

Jason Christenson
05-11-2007, 4:40 PM
I have a Craftsman #34118 electric chainsaw that I am having a problem with. I don't have the manual because I bought it on eBay. I'm wondering if anyone here has the same saw and HAS the manual?

Thanks,
Jason

Doug Collins
05-11-2007, 5:18 PM
Sears can provide manuals, I've ordered them before. With the exact model number of your saw, you can probably do it online.
http://www3.sears.com/

What kind of problems are you having?

Jason Christenson
05-11-2007, 5:19 PM
Whenever I tip it on it's side (the flat side) the chain falls off. Yeeesh.

Doug Collins
05-11-2007, 5:30 PM
How much slack do you have in the chain?

Definitely don't want to run it like that....

Jason Christenson
05-11-2007, 5:32 PM
If anything, I'd say it's too tight. And it runs fine when I run it upright or only tip it to the left.

ROY DICK
05-11-2007, 5:48 PM
Jason,

Hope this helps.

Google: owwm.com.

Roy

Doug Collins
05-11-2007, 5:49 PM
Almost sounds like the bar is not staying aligned with the motor and when you tip it to the side, the links come out of the slot in the bar, causing the rest of the chain to follow.

Does the Bar have any play in it when you move it from side to side. (particularly to the left)? The bar shouldn't move at all relative to the saw.

If that model has the 'tool-less' chain tensioning, it could be that it's not holding the bar tight to the saw.

Jason Christenson
05-11-2007, 6:46 PM
There's no play in the bar, it looks to me then when you tip it to the right the drive gear sort of "falls out of the way of the chain". Does that make any sense?

Jason Christenson
05-11-2007, 7:34 PM
Ok, now I'm getting somewhere. All I need is part #38 shown in the pic. I can order it from Seats for a few dollars but I'm wondering if I can get it locally at a hardware store or something. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Jason

Leo Pashea
05-11-2007, 8:06 PM
Part #38 appears to be a simple snap ring, or circlip. Both are widely available in many popular sizes. Forget Sears, get thyself to the local hardware store and they will fix you right up. Take the saw along, to be sure the part fits. Heck, they may even put it on for you if you talk nice to them. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Go to a hardware store and buy it for pennies. Sometimes you have to buy a assortment but still cheaper than Sears.

Tim Martin
05-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi Jason, exact same thing happened to me with my electric chainsaw.

The problem was the drive sprocket fell of completely:eek: .

What you need is the right washer(if you still have it) and a clip, like a cir-clip which I think is called an 'E' Clip.

Tom Sherman
05-12-2007, 7:01 AM
Jason a trip to a small engine repair shop might be fruitful.

Jason Christenson
05-12-2007, 3:41 PM
I got the clip and a quart of Stihl Bar & Chain oil and I'm back in business! All I have to do now is find time to cut some blanks.