PDA

View Full Version : Another Festool Vac - Dewalt Tool "Connection"

Dave Avery
01-03-2004, 11:44 AM
All,

A while back I posted a note saying that I'd discovered that the Festool vac hose fits in the Dewalt CMS exhaust outlet......

After tiring of my Dewalt plate joiner bag clogging after the third (of 48) slots that needed to be cut, I figured I'd look for a potential Festool connection. Below is the result - and as you might suspect, it works flawlessly. No more cleaning the clogged bag and the clogged slots, and no more microfine dust blowing into my eyes. Dave.

Gene Collison
01-03-2004, 5:56 PM
All,

A while back I posted a note saying that I'd discovered that the Festool vac hose fits in the Dewalt CMS exhaust outlet......

After tiring of my Dewalt plate joiner bag clogging after the third (of 48) slots that needed to be cut, I figured I'd look for a potential Festool connection. Below is the result - and as you might suspect, it works flawlessly. No more cleaning the clogged bag and the clogged slots, and no more microfine dust blowing into my eyes. Dave.

Dave,

Another tip on your Dewalt on improving chip extraction besides the Festool vac. If you look in the exhaust outlet, you will see a finger shaped protrusion right in the middle of that port. An obvious restriction that causes the clogging, take a cold chisel and hammer and pop it off. Be sure and remove the broken piece. This is something that helped mine and must be done at your own risk. It is a safety issue if you should happen to stick a finger in the exhaust port while it is running..

Gene

Dave Avery
01-03-2004, 6:55 PM
Thanks for the tip Gene.... not sure I'll need to do it with the Festool, but it's a great tip for those not lucky enough to own one. Dave.

Bill Grumbine
01-03-2004, 7:37 PM
Great tip Dave! I hate the way my DeWalt sprays chips and dust all over the place. Tell me though, do you have an adapter of some sort between the Festool hose and the DeWalt fitting?

Thanks.

Bill

Dave Avery
01-03-2004, 8:53 PM
Bill,

Yes..... the stock adapter that goes from the outlet chute to the useless bag. It's the dark black plastic piece in the photo posted above. The lighter black is the rubber hose tip from the vac line. The bag pulls right off and the Festool vac hose slips right in.

Since you're otherwise Festool equipped, I think it might be time for you to begin lobbying the bookkeeper for a Festool vac :)

By the way, in response to your PM reply, yes, I'd really like this to be the year that we meet. You're certainly more than generous with your time and effort in hosting the annual 5 Barns get-together. The onus is entirely on me to get my behind down there.

Let me know if you need any more information on the vac, either generally or specific to the plate joiner. Dave.

Dave Avery
01-03-2004, 8:59 PM
Opps - made a duplicate post.... this is an edit

Bill Grumbine
01-04-2004, 5:09 PM
Thanks Dave. As a matter of fact, I was able to swing the purchase of a CT 11 (I think that is the one) last month (gloat gloat). However, I don't think I have that rubber attachment that you have. I did not buy any extra parts for the vac, so I only got what comes with the basic machine. I'll have to check with Bob to see what I need. I know what you mean about that bag. I have tried to use it several times. It is good for about two or three shavings, and then it starts spouting them into my face. The only thing that keeps me from throwing it away is that if I ever want to sell the thing (though I can't imagine why), I will be able to sell it "complete".

Bill

Dave Avery
01-04-2004, 8:58 PM
Bill,

I have the middle sized vac - the CT-22 - so it may be different than yours. That said, there is no Festool attachment on the vac hose, just what came from the factory. In any event, I'm sure that Mr. Marino can get to the bottom of the situation. Dave.

Bob Marino
01-04-2004, 9:17 PM
Bill,

I have the middle sized vac - the CT-22 - so it may be different than yours. That said, there is no Festool attachment on the vac hose, just what came from the factory. In any event, I'm sure that Mr. Marino can get to the bottom of the situation. Dave.

All the Festool vacs have the same adapter at the end of the hose, so if you have that Dewalt joiner and have the adapter that came with that joiner, then the Festool adapter just slips into the Dewealt.

Thanks Dave!

Bob

Kurt Loup
01-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Last week, I discovered the same thing. As a side note, the Festool hose also fits the Rigid (Metabo) 6" ROS without an attachment. It friction fits into the dust collection outlet of the sander.

Kurt

Bill Grumbine
01-05-2004, 6:41 PM
Hi Dave

I finally got up to the shop and got it all figgered out today. I don't know why it wasn't clicking, but I have all the parts and they fit together very well. Thanks again for the tip!

Bill

Jim DeLaney
01-05-2004, 6:48 PM
One other possibly useful piece of info---

Festool reducing sleeve/hose connector. PN: D-27-DM-AS ($9.50) is the 'tool adapter hose end', and it screws perfectly onto the little 1" diameter Porter-Cable hose for the 333, etc.

I'm using that adapter, and the PC hose, on my Festool sander, connected to my Fein vacuum. Works great.

Dave Avery
01-05-2004, 8:48 PM
Bill,

You're welcome. It's not that often that I'm clever enough to figure something out that's helpful. As an old boss once told me.... "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while". Dave.

Bruce Page
01-05-2004, 9:32 PM
Sheesh! You guys are turning into a bunch of woosies! :D I don’t have ANY chip collection on my antique PC, it just throws the stuff everywhere…..maybe it's time for an upgrade?