PDA

View Full Version : Five Barns 2004 Picnic Announcement!

Bill Grumbine
01-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Greetings all

With the new year safely on its way, and the holiday season bustle settling down, it is time to look forward to the events the year will bring. The one big event the we are eagerly anticipating here at the Grumbine household is the 3rd Annual Five Barns Picnic.

For those of you who have been here already, we are looking forward to hopefully seeing you all again. For those of you who have been wanting to come, I am announcing it as early as possible so you can plan for it. For those of you scratching your head and wondering what all this is about, read on.

The Five Barns Picnic grew out of our desire to meet and fellowship with those people we met through this medium of the internet. We started meeting people as early as 1996, both in our home and outside our home. When we moved to our current place, we had enough room to really do it up in style, and that is how the Five Barns picnic was born. For one weekend in the summer, woodworkers and their families meet here in eastern PA for fun, food, and fellowship. People bring their wives, husbands, children, and even grandchildren. They bring tools, wood, projects, picture books, and most of all they bring food!

Last year's picnic was scheduled to start Friday afternoon, but since people from Alabama can't tell time, Ken S. showed up at 9:00 AM. No worries. I could have posted a thread on what happens to Rebel woodworkers who show up early! :D Ken and other early birds were a big help in the final preparations, and by noon the party was in full swing. We had turning demonstrations, we had sharpening demos, router demos, all sorts of stuff going on. Kids were in the pool, ladies were under the big tarp, and eveyone had a blast. We paused long enough for folks to take naps Friday night, and recommenced the festivities Saturday morning.

People had opportunity to meet with others to put faces and voices to the names we all know so well, and to some who we didn't. We had a grand total of 93 people in attendance, from states as far away as WI, MI, AL, IN and ME. From closer by we had folks from MD, OH, NY, NJ, MA, and of course, lots from PA.

This year's picnic is scheduled for July 30 and 31, 2004. By moving the picnic out of that first weekend of August, we avoid the giant car show that made hotel rooms hard to come by and more expensive. Once again the official start time is just after noon, although we will welcome and put to work anyone who shows up early. People can stay as late as they want, get here as early as they want on Saturday, and stay late again. We go to church Sunday, and anyone who wants to come is welcome. The festivites are officially over when the shop door is closed sometime late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

There are several motels and hotels nearby, some folks stayed at campgrounds, and some folks camped out right here on the property. We have room for all that again, and we are looking forward to a great time again this year.

So, mark your calendars, get your maps out, and plan to make it for this year's event. As the time draws closer, I will be posting more information and reminders for you prcrastinators.

We'll see you in July!

Bill

Ron Meadows
01-03-2004, 1:01 PM
Make mine reservation #1. I had a great time last year and I'm planning to bring the family along this time.

For those who have never attended you are really missing out on a great time.

Ron

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-03-2004, 1:30 PM
Hey Bill.............if Ron shows up early.......he mentioned to me that he would REALLY like to split some Firewood! (Honest, he did Bill!) :D
Although it is a long way from Illinois, I am going to do my best to make it there. I will know more as the time draws near. :)

Mark Singer
01-03-2004, 1:58 PM
Bill,
Sounds like work...better get the Boys over early again!

Mark

Tom Sweeney
01-03-2004, 7:51 PM
Could you do me a favor & give me a call as soon as Ron has all the work done - then I'll head on up from here & be there in time for the food & beer :D :p

Another 5 Barns YAHOO!

Noah Alkinburgh
01-04-2004, 5:52 PM
I am putting it on my calander...not sure if I will have the family or not this year. Might be a bit tough on the 2 month old. Oh yeah did I just have a small gloat in there :)

Can't wait for July. Did that fancy new security system come with A/C though? :D

Noah

Gerry Meekins
01-04-2004, 6:05 PM
Hey Bill, I just marked my calendar and noticed there is gonna be a full moon on the 31st! I'm gonna need to leave before sundown or things may get hairy...

Thanks for the invite!

Gerry

Julie Wright
01-05-2004, 6:55 AM
As long as work cooperates I'll be there. It will be nice to meet you folks in person.

Lee Schierer
01-05-2004, 9:38 AM
Well, since it will be the 31st and not the 3rd this year, I guess that will rule out the B-day cake. :rolleyes:

Its on the calendar Bill

Jason Roehl
01-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Well, since it will be the 31st and not the 3rd this year, I guess that will rule out the B-day cake. :rolleyes:

Yes, it does, Lee. But we'll still give you your b-day beating.
:D

On the calendar and making plans....make sure OH and PA put down some fire-retardant asphalt...

BTW, I will entertain requests for a particular style of homebrew. Last year I brought a well-received porter.

Ron Meadows
01-05-2004, 3:32 PM
Jason,

If it ain't broke, don't fix it......another sampling of the porter would suit my taste buds just fine.

Ron

Tom Sweeney
01-05-2004, 4:06 PM
last years brew tasted like

MORE!!!!! :cool:

Jason Roehl
01-05-2004, 4:52 PM
Hmmm....let's see...what brand of porter mix was that? And just WHERE did I pick that up? :confused: :D

The hard part will be this--keeping it around until it's aged to "perfection" for the picnic. It's pretty good almost right away, but gets even better after a month or two. (I don't know about any longer than that :D :cool: )

Byron Trantham
01-06-2004, 8:39 AM
Looks like we'll be there. This will be a first for me. :D

Jim Becker
01-06-2004, 9:01 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it......another sampling of the porter would suit my taste buds just fine.

I agree with Ron...the Porter was excellent and I normally don't prefer it--yours was very good!

Bill Grumbine
01-06-2004, 9:18 AM
Well now I know why I only saw one bottle of that stuff! It was the "lush" attendance! ;) :D

Bill

Ken Salisbury
01-06-2004, 9:37 AM
Well now I know why I only saw one bottle of that stuff! It was the "lush" attendance! ;) :D
Bill
I NEVER TOUCHED IT !! !!