PDA

View Full Version : Newish turner - lookin for help

Philip Culver
05-11-2007, 1:05 PM
I've been turning for a year now. I have a Jet Mini Lathe. I've done lots of pens and spindles and lidded boxes. I only have 3 tools: A spindle gouge, a parting tool and a round scraper. I want to start turning bowls but have no idea how to use a bowl gouge. I see I can get one for about $15 on some websites which is a good price for a beginner. Is there anywhere to go to learn how to USE the bowl gouge? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark Singer
05-11-2007, 1:16 PM
welcome "Newish Turner"! by coincidence I have a friend that is a Jewish turner....specializing in dreidels....everyting well made and sold at a special price just for you!:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreidel

Tony De Masi
05-11-2007, 1:19 PM
A few options,

1. List where you live. There are so many folks on this site who are very willing to give some hands on assistance and you may find some of them live somewhere near you.

2. Look for a local turning club. You can find the list on the on the AAW website.

3. If you live near a Woodcraft they usually have monthly classes on turning.

Tony

Kim Ford
05-11-2007, 1:30 PM
Welcome to the Creek.

Here is a good article on bowl gouges www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00132.asp (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00132.asp)

I would not recomend a $15 gouge. Buy a good and strong one and you probably need to budget for or build a sharpening jig. It will make a huge difference.

I have Mastercuts, Crown PM's, P&N's and Pinacles. Both Particle Metal and HSS in 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8". For a smaller lathes it is hard to beat the 3/8" Crown PM, good value and a good tool, but there are many out there to choose from and it is really personal preference.

Happy Turnings

Kim Ford

Patrick Taylor
05-11-2007, 1:31 PM
Richard Raffan's book "Turning Bowls" is great. That, together with a few minutes watching another turner should get you going.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2007, 1:33 PM
Phillip....Welcome to the Creek and turning!

You have been given some good advice so far....turning clubs....local Creekers.....

Another alternative......Bill Grumbine's video "Turned Bowls Made Easy"..you can find him in the member's list and there is a link to his website and you can buy the DVD directly from him...

a book I'd recommend..."Woodturing - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley....an excellent book, well illustrated aimed at the beginning turner.

Again...Welcome to the Creek!

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2007, 2:08 PM
Philip I would agree with Ken on the DVD's. Bill Grumbine's is about the best. Mike Mahoney's "From The Tree To The Table" is another good bowl turning DVD. As for gouges my first bowl gouge was from Penn State Industries. It was the 1/2" one. Even though I have several more expensive ones for some reason I keep reaching for it. Had it a 1 1/2 yrs now. The 1/2" is $18 and the 3/8" for $14. I just bought the 3/8" one and like it well. For the money IMHO can't be beat.

Kim Ford
05-12-2007, 6:22 AM
Bernie;

Shiver Me timbers, I stand corrected.:rolleyes: I went on line and looked at the PSI website. That looks like a respectable gouge and the price is $14 and $18. I'm going to order a pair and check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Kim

Robert McGowen
05-12-2007, 9:06 AM
Not to stir the pot of course, but I end up doing about 90% of a bowl, both inside and out, with a 3/4" round nose scraper. I ground down the left side of the scraper so that it will cut on the left side also. You can go straight across the bottom and up the side to the rim or from the rim back down across the bottom and be cutting the entire time. And yes, I have several bowl gouges and other tools, this just works easier to me. Just my take on things. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-12-2007, 9:45 AM
Robert.....I use a bowl gouge for most of it...but when it comes to the final cuts....I have a Sorby extra hd bowl scraper and a 1" flat nose scraper that make the final cuts. I hate to admit it but I too use scrapers!:o

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Can only echo the advice already given but wanted to Welcome you to the Creek! Lots of great folks and lots of help! When you get the chance post some of your turnings - we love pictures!!