PDA

View Full Version : New Sliding Router Table

Keith Outten
01-03-2004, 11:19 AM
I found this in the new 2004 Grizzly catalog. Since several people have been talking about router tables lately I thought this might be of interest. This is the first router table that I have ever seen with a built-in slider and it makes a lot of sense to me, improved safety as well.

At $295.00 I think Grizzly has a real hit on their hands with this table. The main table top is cast iron, the slider is made from aluminum. The top is roughly 30" by 22" and the total weight is a hefty 124 pounds. Fits routers from 3/4 to 5 hp. There are no specifications on the sliding distance.

Comments?

James Carpenter
01-03-2004, 11:29 AM
I wonder if having slanted legs is a wise idea. Wouldn't that put you standing further from the table? Plus for me, i would rather have the top part that houses the router enclosed, helps to keep the noise down. Even though routers are getting much quieter than my first craftsman router which i originally had in my home made router table.

Mark Singer
01-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Keith,
It looks very good! Looks the milling tenons on stretchers would be safe accurate and easy with the hold down and sliding table...I made a jig w/ toggle clamps to do it....this is far better!
Mark

Jim Becker
01-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Strangely enough, a few days ago I was perusing the new Grizzly catalog and also came upon that sliding router table. The first though that crossed my mind was, "How could I take that top and adapt it to a cabinet while embedding it in a larger table surface?". It would be wonderful for rail and stile work, especially for milling the ends of the rails consistently. It would also work well as a horizontal mortiser by setting up stops. I do wish that the sliding portion of the table was cast iron, too....I don't particularly like aluminum around wood due to the black marks it can often leave.

JayStPeter
01-03-2004, 8:22 PM
Jim,

Same thought I had. Looks like it could be a pretty slick working table by the design.

Jay

John Scarpa
01-03-2004, 9:26 PM
Keith,
I like it very much. I'm with Jim in thinking how good I adapt this to a cabinet. And at $295, wow.
John

Keith Outten
01-03-2004, 9:53 PM
I've grown real fond of sliding tables since I installed one on my table saw. A router table slider that allows you to fasten or clamp the material to the slider is much safer than relying on human grip. The ability to use additional machining techniques is also a major bonus.