PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation Festival/Logging Show

Joe Pelonio
05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm off at noon to my parents for the weekend to plant their vegetable garden but also to take in some of the logging show at the Sequim, WA Irrigation Festival. For anyone in the area, it's a lot of fun events tomorrow, hopefully they'll have the V8 chain saws again. The tractor pull is real tractors (farm)
and there's nothing like a lawnmower race.

http://www.irrigationfestival.com/

John Schreiber
05-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Hope you have fun, but I gotta suggest they rename the festival. Watching water spread is only a little more exciting than watching paint dry.

Joe Pelonio
05-11-2007, 1:12 PM
I know it sounds boring, but there's a long history, so they'll probably never change it.

In the late 1800s there were ditches dug connecting to the Dungeness River that allowed for growing of crops in the The Dungeness Valley. In fact this area was the apple capital of the country until the people in the Wenatchee/Yakima area built their own irrigation systems about 1910.

When my parents were looking for a home to buy there, a couple of the ones they considered were on the irrigation ditch still in use and they would have had water rights.

Ed Falis
05-11-2007, 1:45 PM
As soon as I saw the phrase "Irrigation Festival" I knew this had to be on the Olympic peninsula. Perhaps someday I can move there.

Joe Pelonio
05-11-2007, 2:14 PM
We're planning on it, 2-3 years. You have lakes, rivers, the ocean and mountains all within a few minutes. While we get 40" of rain here my Mom gets 10-15". Plus it's only a 90 minute ferry ride to Victoria, BC.

Ed Falis
05-11-2007, 2:46 PM
Yeah, the famous "blue hole". Don't spread it around too much, though. ;-)

Craig D Peltier
05-11-2007, 3:25 PM
Wow I wasnt aware it rained alot less there.I know im in something called the convergence zone.All the rain converges on me:D Serious, Duvall WA.
I think by that town isnt there something like the nations or worlds longest sandbar, i think its 1 mile long or 1000 feet it breaks the surface where you can walk down it?

We're planning on it, 2-3 years. You have lakes, rivers, the ocean and mountains all within a few minutes. While we get 40" of rain here my Mom gets 10-15". Plus it's only a 90 minute ferry ride to Victoria, BC.

Joe Pelonio
05-14-2007, 8:14 AM
That's called the Ediz Spit, over 5 miles long.

Joe Pelonio
05-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Here's a few pics from the logging show. Great show and wonderful, sunny, warm day. My son and I stayed until 4:30 then left to catch the ferry, my parents decided to stay until the end.

First the chainsaw carving, the tractor pull, lawnmower races, and finally my favorite, the V8 chainsaws. Just two seconds to get through that log.

Dennis Peacock
05-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Wow Joe!!!!!!!!! I'd LOVE to see more of those pics!!!!! Sure makes we wish I could attend one of those shows some day. :cool:

Joe Pelonio
05-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Wow Joe!!!!!!!!! I'd LOVE to see more of those pics!!!!! Sure makes we wish I could attend one of those shows some day. :cool:
The biggest one around here is in June, maybe you could get away and make it up to Deming, WA for that one. It's the same kind of events but they draw the best in the U.S. to it. Click on 2006 winners for pics from last year at that one. It's only about 65 miles from Deming to Vancouver, B.C Canada so it could make a good vacation.

http://www.demingloggingshow.com/Deming%20Logging%20Show%20Weekend.htm