PDA

View Full Version : How important is a quick-release vise?

Richard Mertens
05-11-2007, 10:45 AM
I've got a thick top of laminated maple and want to mount a face vise. I have two choices, a 10.5 inch Record 53 without quick release and an old 10-inch Morgan 200A with quick release. The Record is heavier and seems a little better made, but of course it lacks the quick release. Does that matter? I'll be grateful for any advice.

Jeff Wright
05-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Both my vises are quick release. If you do anything other than occassional shop work I would definitely want the quick release feature. Maybe you could sell both your current vises and buy new??

Dave Anderson NH
05-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi Richard, My next statement is my opinion and I'm not trying to be a wise guy or belabor the obvious.

A quick release vise is not necessary for a hobbiest unless you are impatient and get frustrated easily or for some reason need to be particularly efficient. A solid and sturdy vise which provides the capacity you expect to need, opens and closes squarely is far more important. What I'm saying is that quick release is nice, and it's convenient, but quality is far more important.

Bruce Page
05-11-2007, 1:40 PM
Richard, while in practical terms I agree with Dave’s comments 100%, I wouldn’t want to give up my quick release. :rolleyes:

glenn bradley
05-11-2007, 1:47 PM
I think of them like power side-view mirrors; now that I've had them I wouldn't want to give them up. If I had never had them I could get along quite well without.

Zahid Naqvi
05-11-2007, 8:31 PM
I have tried both for several months each, but I don't see what's the big deal with the quick release. To me it's a minor convenience, with the added complication of the quick release mechanism, which for some woodworkers has caused issues. If you do get a quick release get something name brand of good quality.

Mark Singer
05-11-2007, 9:14 PM
I have a quick release on one bench and the traditional front vise with a screw on the other.....I use the non quick release all the time and almost never use the quick release. If you are working on similar size parts it does not matter at all. If you go from 4/4 to 8/4 you spin it a few turns.....most of the traditional benches have a non quick release vise...

Steve Clardy
05-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I have both.
The quick release is nice, but not all that necessary most times