PDA

View Full Version : Need Mitre Box Assistance

Jim Farrow
05-11-2007, 9:46 AM
Hi!

I was thinking about making my own frames for artwork that is on 24" x 48" x 1/2" birch plywood.

I looked for manufactured frames this size but cannot find any that do not cost more than what I could sell the art work for. LOL!

So I was considering making my own.

Lee Valley has an Economical Mitre Box ($49.90) that I was hoping would do the job. I know they have better ones but I don't want to spend a lot on something that I will probably only ever use to make frames.

I am not sure if the one they have will do for what I want to do though.

As I stated above the frames will have to accomodate a 24" x 48" x 1/2" plywood sheet.

Here is the Mitre Box:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=52321&cat=1,42884,43836

Would this serve my purpose?

Thanks in advance,

James :)

Pam Niedermayer
05-11-2007, 12:09 PM
You want to frame plywood rectangles? If so, it's hardly necessary to worry about the strength of the frame itself as you can simply attach the frame to the plywood, at which point the frame is decoration only.

So, a miter box isn't really necessary, you could use instead a miter square (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=56715&cat=1,42936,42944 ), build a little shooting board to clean up the edges, and add a small rebate plane for making a place for the plywood to nestle.

If you're going to do a lot of these, perhaps a CMS would be advisable, or a big miter box with saw.

Pam

Jim Farrow
05-11-2007, 1:07 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure what you mean though. I just want a saw to cut accurate 45 degree angles. I just want to make sure it can take up to, say, 50" lengths.

The one I posted the link to says:

"An adjustable stop allows repetitive cuts for pieces up to 20-3/4" long"

Being a novice at this I don't know if that's telling me there is a length limit or not.

Prashun Patel
05-11-2007, 1:26 PM
I believe that saw will be fine IF yr not going to do a lot of mitering jobs.

The 'deluxe' models usually feature a higher fence, wider deck, and longer limit stops. That allows you to cut larger stock a little easier. But for your purposes, the saw you show will be fine.

IMHO, limit stops on hand miters are a waste anyway. You should really mount that saw to a bench and then screw in limit stops to the bench.

But since you're only doing 2 'repeat' cuts, if it were me, I'd cut the opposite sides to rough length first, then clamp them together and cut the miters at once. Then you'll be sure you have the exact length.

Make sure the blade is a fine one.

Beware that to cut crown molding on that saw you'll need to do some jigging.

You know, a 'cheap' power compound miter saw can be had for around $100...

Jim Farrow
05-11-2007, 1:32 PM
Thanks!

I can check at Canadian Tire for the powered ones too.