PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed table

Craig D Peltier
05-10-2007, 8:28 PM
Hi, Im interested in purchasing some wood for a outfeed table very soon. It will be 4 deep by 6 wide by 36 3/4 tall. Melamine top with a 3/4 sheet below it for extra support.
I was thinking about 2x6s in a rectangle nailed on ends with 4x4 post on the inside lag bolted into the 2x6s from outside in from both sides on corners.Then lower rails on the inside which I will lay down ply for a work shelve.
Top pocket hole screwed from under.
Does the frame part sound good enough? I need cheap right now but sturdy,it wont be attached to TS so I can pull it apart from time to time and since my TS is on a moveable base. Its a sealed concrete floor pretty slick.I may put some felt protectors on bottom to make it slide easier.

Any suggestions.
This will be my main workbench so I do have to attach a vise to it also. I have a bench i made from plansnow "weekend bench" i think was the name.

Questions I guess I have are
1) The reason im doing this is for work support. Should I do something other than this? My rails are only 37 inches or so. I have one roller support right now when needed.Works okay not great.I would like to be able to rip an 8 foot board or sheet and be able to reach an pull it back without it falling on floor or balancing on one roller.
2) Does the frame sound okay?
3) The height is kind of high, im 5-8 , should I not make it my workbench.About 3 inches higher than the one im working at now.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Sontag
05-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Sorry I do not have pictures to share, but I am very happy with the outfeed solution I came up with. Since the first foot of the outfeed needs miter slots, I made my outfeed in two parts: one foot attached to the saw with the slots incorporated, and the second a large table on casters that doubles as my assemby bench (with shelves underneath for portable power tools etc.)

Your idea could certainly work, but you over-designed your wood and under-designed your joinery. Why not use this opportunity to practice some mortise and tenon joinery with the wood of your choice? Butt joints with fasteners is fast but nowhere near as strong or rewarding as wood mechanically joined, where the wood intersecting wood gives the joint strength and glue or fasteners are just added to keep things in place. Almost anything works for shop 'furniture', but my skills are much further along because every shop piece I built was practice for something that later was needed on a 'real' piece. It is a good habit.

Craig D Peltier
05-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks, I didnt think about the slots.I was thinking about some practice on joinery, I have the time.
Sorry I do not have pictures to share, but I am very happy with the outfeed solution I came up with. Since the first foot of the outfeed needs miter slots, I made my outfeed in two parts: one foot attached to the saw with the slots incorporated, and the second a large table on casters that doubles as my assemby bench (with shelves underneath for portable power tools etc.)

Your idea could certainly work, but you over-designed your wood and under-designed your joinery. Why not use this opportunity to practice some mortise and tenon joinery with the wood of your choice? Butt joints with fasteners is fast but nowhere near as strong or rewarding as wood mechanically joined, where the wood intersecting wood gives the joint strength and glue or fasteners are just added to keep things in place. Almost anything works for shop 'furniture', but my skills are much further along because every shop piece I built was practice for something that later was needed on a 'real' piece. It is a good habit.