PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Pyroglassography Work

James Farrow
05-10-2007, 6:36 PM
As some of you know that I have asked quite a few questions on wood finishes, stain, bleeding, painting over stain, warpage, etc... in regard to my pyrography/pyroglassography.

Well I finally finished a pyroglassography piece using staining and I think it turned out rather well. The stain really worked as I had hoped and although painting was difficult (the stain, even though I let it dry for a week, still seemed to bleed up into the paint sometimes) it finally came out pretty good.

Anyway, it's called Memories Of The Theatre and is on a 24" by 48" x 1/2" piece of birch plywood. The background was stained with Minwax Red Mahogany Wood Stain and the painting done with acrylics.

I just have to give it a couple of coats of lacquer and see about framing.

Here's a link to the pic:

http://www.woodburner.com/photoalbum.php?&do=showpic&pid=9561&orderby=dateD

James :)

John Schreiber
05-11-2007, 1:34 AM
James,

I gotta ask, What's pyroglassography? I can see wood and it looks like paint, but there most be a burning and a glass component that I'm missing.

James Farrow
05-11-2007, 5:25 AM
Hi!

Pyroglassography was the only thing I could come up with to describe the style.

It's pryography painted to resemble stained glass. When I burn the picture all the items are broken down into pieces (there is a dark line around each piece like in stained glass). When I coat it with lacquer it will be glossy like glass as well.

This is the first one I have tried with a wood grain background. If you look in my album at:

http://www.woodburner.com/photoalbum.php?&do=showgall&gid=636

the one with the ship and the one with the elephants are probably better examples of what I mean.

Like I said it's all I could think of on how to explain the style. I searched the internet and could not find anyone else doing this so was not sure what to call it. Pyroglassography was the best I could come up with.

James :)

jeremy levine
05-11-2007, 8:07 AM
Hi!

Pyroglassography was the only thing I could come up with to describe the style.

Perhaps pyropseudoglassography :)

John Schreiber
05-11-2007, 8:54 AM
Cool. I see it now.