PDA

View Full Version : Board Buddies on Jointech/Incra TS Fences

Cary Swoveland
05-10-2007, 6:00 PM
Here are a pair of Board Buddies I just mounted on my Jointech TS/router table fence.

I made the mounting blocks from 3/4" phenolic, but plywood or lumber would have been fine. For this type of fence, I think shop-made mounting blocks are more convenient than the auxiliary (12" and 24") aluminum fences sold by Woodstock International (maker of the BBs).

The Jointech fence is about 3" high.

I'm almost certain the BBs could be mounted to a Incra TS fence in a similar way. Perhaps someone could confirm that.

Cary

Don Bullock
05-10-2007, 8:25 PM
Thanks Cary. That picture helps a lot.

I think someone was going to post pictures of the Incra blocks. Maybe they'll see this and add their picture. I'd be interested in seeing how anyone has done this on the Incra.

Dave Hale
05-10-2007, 9:08 PM
Yeah, that's me Don. Just haven't got to it yet and I'll be out of town this weekend. Next weekend, I promise.

Don Bullock
05-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks Dave. I'm in no hurry.;) :D

Bill Huber
05-10-2007, 11:40 PM
How well do the BBs work, do they hold the work against the fence and hold it down to the table really well?

Now you can add a pin to each of those T bolts and they won't turn.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56589

Mike Goetzke
05-11-2007, 12:20 AM
I've been trying to think of an easy/similar way to attach my BB to my Incra WonderFence.

John Michaels
05-11-2007, 1:19 AM
I have a Bosch 4000 portable table saw. The fence has a slot in it. Does anyone know if board buddies will fit this, or do I need to modify.

Greg Cole
05-11-2007, 9:48 AM
Hey Cary,
Send those to me and I will confirm they work on the INCRA fence...LOL

Nice job.

Greg

Vic Damone
05-11-2007, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Bill Huber;583337]How well do the BBs work, do they hold the work against the fence and hold it down to the table really well?

Bill, speaking for myself, I like the way Buddies work. They have a tendency to draw the piece into the fence which, for me, is very important as I have my fence adjusted a few thousands out in the back and it makes for a cleaner cut. Depending on the width of the piece, using the Buddie in the front of the blade can interfere with a push stick and is sometimes not used.

The rear Buddie holds the piece that's just been ripped in place after the blade and provides a slight sense of security that the piece won't accidently wander into the blade.

Feather boards can provide some of these same features except for drawing the piece to the fence after the blade which I find to be their most unique quality. Since I've only been using the Buddies a short time I haven't experienced their ability to handle kickback.

Vic

Ken Garlock
05-11-2007, 3:17 PM
The Incra LS cabinet saw fence will NOT accommodate the standard T-slot bolts, like the kind you get at Rockler.

I found some leftovers from my LS install and measured the size of the rectangular nuts that are used in the fence tracks. The width is .44" and will fit nicely. The larger ones from Rockler are .53" wide. The lengths are the same at .83".

I have been eying the board buddies also, and hadn't determined how to mount them on the LS fence. It looks like the only answer is to 1) grind down the sides of Rockler bolts, or 2)contact Incra about buying some bolts.

Dave Hale
05-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Woodpecks has the Incra-sized nuts and bolts. I plan on checking Woodcraft out this weekend coming back from the out-laws.....

Ken Garlock
05-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Woodpecks has the Incra-sized nuts and bolts. I plan on checking Woodcraft out this weekend coming back from the out-laws.....

I discovered the nuts and bolts at Woodpeckers after I posted. They are good people and have some very good products that they "invented" themselves.

Bill Huber
05-12-2007, 11:33 AM
[quote=Bill Huber;583337]How well do the BBs work, do they hold the work against the fence and hold it down to the table really well?

Bill, speaking for myself, I like the way Buddies work. They have a tendency to draw the piece into the fence which, for me, is very important as I have my fence adjusted a few thousands out in the back and it makes for a cleaner cut. Depending on the width of the piece, using the Buddie in the front of the blade can interfere with a push stick and is sometimes not used.

The rear Buddie holds the piece that's just been ripped in place after the blade and provides a slight sense of security that the piece won't accidently wander into the blade.

Feather boards can provide some of these same features except for drawing the piece to the fence after the blade which I find to be their most unique quality. Since I've only been using the Buddies a short time I haven't experienced their ability to handle kickback.

Vic

Thanks that is the info I was wanting to know, they looked like they should work well and I think I will get a set for my saw.

Again thanks for the info.