PDA

View Full Version : Waxilit - Have you used it?

Jeff Wright
05-10-2007, 4:59 PM
Waxilit is advertised as being a solution to residual glue ruining the finishing process. You're supposed to be able to wipe it on areas to be exposed to glue squeeze out and then wipe it off and clean with alcohol, then apply your finish coatings without telltale signs of dried glue.

Have you used it for that purpose? Were you satisfied with the results?

Here is a link to the product:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43415,43440&p=32092

Bernhard Lampert
05-10-2007, 8:06 PM
I am using Waxilit on my jointer and planer infeed/outfeed tables, table saw, etc wherever I want to reduce friction. I like the product, never had any problem with any finishes. It doesn't seem to leave any residue behind. But I haven't seen it advertised for the use you describe.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Jeff Wright
05-10-2007, 10:36 PM
. . . I haven't seen it advertised for the use you describe.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Bernhard, visit the Lee Valley link I provided in my original post and you will read where they recommend it for preventing glue marks.

Mark Singer
05-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Waxlit works well. It can be applied on the non glued surfaces around a joint and the glue will not stick. A small amount of scraping or pealing will remove it. Parafin will do a very similar job... I have use both methods and they work very well.

Bob Reeve
05-11-2007, 10:20 AM
I have used it for the stated purpose and it works well. It works extremely well for inside corners. Just let the glue set for thirty minutes and then pop it off with an old chisel. If you are then using an oil and varnish finish like Velvit, this will disolve any wax. No marks left behind. I have also used Johnson Paste wax for this.

Bob

Jeff Wright
05-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Mark & Bob,

Do you remove the Waxilit with alchohol (or some other solvent) prior to finishing?

Mark Singer
05-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Mark & Bob,

Do you remove the Waxilit with alchohol (or some other solvent) prior to finishing?
You can just rub it with a 3M polishing pad or fine steel wool

Bob Reeve
05-11-2007, 8:52 PM
Jeff,

If you are using an Oil and Varnish mix finish like Velvit Oil or Danish oil you do not need to remove the wax with anything. The finish will disolve the wax.

Bob

Hector M Torvisque
08-19-2011, 7:17 AM
Hopefully the same effect with glue-up squeeze out can be achieved with Liberon Lubricating Wax?