PDA

View Full Version : Ideas

Scott Halverson
05-10-2007, 3:16 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some ideas or suggestions for projects. I have some extra time now and I am planning on building some projects that I can list for sale. Things that come to mind are night stands, end tables, things of that nature.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Roger Wilson
05-10-2007, 3:27 PM
How's this:

-coffee table
-cutting board
-kitchen spatulas and spoons
-garden tuteur
-garden bench
-tv table (for eating off)
-food tray
-wooden bookmark
-scroll sawed stuff
-window boxes
-garden planters
-blanket chest
-hand mirrors
-cheval mirror
-plant stand
-aquarium stands
-bird houses
-bird feeders

Richard M. Wolfe
05-10-2007, 4:03 PM
Check some places that sell handcrafted items - craft malls, etc. See what is out there and inquire what moves well. I sold for years at a craft mall and things that did well were shelves, benches, quilt racks, small tables.

You said you want to make something to list for sale. List where? You may well find that making the item is the fun part/easy part. Getting it in front of a potential customer may be the tough part. And then when you have made your item and get ready to sell it comes the part that makes everyone scratch their head - how much to charge for it.

Matt Lentzner
05-10-2007, 5:04 PM
Scott,

I am looking to have some custom made bar stools and counter height chairs made. It will be a long, long time before I'll be making my own chairs, and I need them sooner rather than ten years from now :) . At the moment I make "coarse" funiture - the stuff that goes in the garage.

I like contemporary style stuff. Let me know if you're interested in discussing it. Anybody else who is interested in making some stuff on comission can chime in too.

Matt

Jules Dominguez
05-10-2007, 9:54 PM
Magazine racks, either free-standing for the den or office or wall-mounted for the john.
Small stand made from solid block of attractive wood to hold note paper and pen.
Desk-top "pending" file to hold mail that you don't want to throw in the trash can (yet). This one lends itself to use of dovetails.

Scott Halverson
05-15-2007, 8:27 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas so far.

I'll probabally try to sell the stuff on Craigslist for now.

Any more ideas, keep them coming.

Thanks,

Scott

Kelly C. Hanna
05-15-2007, 8:39 AM
Good luck. Selling craftwork down here isn't easy at all. I did see that some Craigslist sellers were posting in other cities and offering shipping.