PDA

View Full Version : Whose in Charge Here?

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-28-2003, 10:52 PM
I thought someone is supposed to post a Weekends Projects request. I don't want the job and I don't want to step on any toes here but:

I'm gonna whittle out a primitive storage cabinet.
What are you loafers doin?

I expect Dennis Peacock to make the "Weekend Accomplishments Post" promptly at mid-night on Sunday. I will take some purdy pitchers of my deal.

Bart Leetch
02-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Well Dr Zack. So much for hoping to work on the table saw cabinet. I ended up working on a portable extendable miter platform for my 12" CMS. I made the table 52" long & used 7/8" tubing to make extensions that slide out to make the over all length 83". The tube slides into holes at the front & back of the table & has a piece of 2x drilled & mounted at the ends so that they can be pulled out to support the material.
My shop is small so this CMS platform sets on the RAS with the RAS turned sideways
I sure like this edit feature.:D

Rob Russell
02-28-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm working on the rigging to get some "toys" out of the garage.

Steve Roxberg
02-28-2003, 11:17 PM
Well since SWMBO visited the shop, I will be cleaning.

:mad:

But, I'll also benefit from finding all of the tools I forgot that I had.

Todd Burch
02-28-2003, 11:27 PM
I'm finishing painting those "functional storage" shelves/cabinet that I made the other day. One is painted and not hung, and the other is hung and not painted... Go figure.

Lastly, I'll put the final coat of varnish on the built-in from @#$%. I'll post pics on Monday.

Todd.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-28-2003, 11:30 PM
with the mirror frames at work. One lady wants four for her sisters and mother. A guy want a set for his wife of two small mirrors and a large one, plus a large picture frame for his grandaughter's picture. They want them of red oak, which I have on hand (lucky). They are easy to make and only take about twenty minutes each. I sign and put the date and wood type on each one. I use my 450,000 rpm engraver that I use to carve Rhea, Emu and Ostrich eggs. I'll also try to work in some time for me to turn a couple of green cherry bowls. I have some blanks cut and end sealed in the shop just screaming to let the bowls out. Wish me luck! I'll be sure and post picts. Happy turning.

Mark Mandell
02-28-2003, 11:43 PM
Well, Doc,

This guy gave me a walnut tree and half an Ambrosia Maple last Fall. I turned, boiled and bagged a bunch of walnut bowls in order to make him a salad set. Since he also offered me 6 cherry logs and another walnut (that happens to about 8 feet of burl trunk), I figure its time to get him his set as a thank you in preparation for turning him a 18" main bowl after that burl gets here.

You have a good weekend too!

John Miliunas
02-28-2003, 11:48 PM
The "For Sale" sign for our house went up early this morning. Tomorrow it's clean my 'puter room. Sunday, it's clean the shop. Never know when we'll be having "company" now. :(

Steve Roxberg
03-01-2003, 12:19 AM
If you have to pack and move the shop I have some advice. I had to do it three years ago.

Buy some of the packing stuff like sarin wrap. It comes in rolls and you can buy it at office max. It allows you to quickly tie things together, like say four or five boards into a single easy to carry bundle.

All of the misc parts from the equipment that you have to disassemble. Take all the nuts, bolts, etc, put it with Rip fences, wings, tools, etc, and wrap them into bundles.

The only joy of cleaning is I'm doing it with a new Fein Turbo II vac with 1 micron filter, acc. kit, and dust bags. Come on, she did say clean the shop????? :cool:

Oh, and for the non ponders, that was a stealth Gloat.

:p

Mike Mastin
03-01-2003, 12:36 AM
I just got a Box Elder burl log shipped all the way from Walla Walla, Washington down to me here in north Texas. Going down in the morning with the trailer and loading it up. Drag it back to the lair and start sawing on this big old monster :-)
I will need a fresh jug of premix and a couple of sharp chains I think!

Keith Outten
03-01-2003, 1:10 AM
Saturday I'll be at the local Odyssy of the Mind competition, my youngest daughter is competing, I think this is her 5th year.

Sunday morning I hope to get some much needed shop cleaning done. Possibly I'll get a music box finished in the afternoon.

Bruce Page
03-01-2003, 1:11 AM
A friend is coming over bright & early and we are going to build a folding dinning room table for his 5th wheel.

Jason Roehl
03-01-2003, 6:54 AM
I'm heading out to a floor finishing conference in about 45 min, down in Indy. Not what I really wanted to do today, but no one else from our company could go, and my partner wanted SOMEBODY to make it. Oh well, $30 for breakfast, lunch, and credit towards a certification from a national floor finishing association, plus door prizes. Shouldn't be all bad!

Jason

Del Williams
03-01-2003, 7:32 AM
Assemble my bandsaw (14" Delta - 1HP) (stealth gloat for this forum but transferred from BP). Sadly as others have said, I also need to do some cleaning.

Glenn Clabo
03-01-2003, 7:55 AM
Assemble (if I can find all the parts) and finish that hall table that has been on hold for 6 months.

Dave Anderson NH
03-01-2003, 8:25 AM
some poplar and then back to the shop. I want to get most of the way finished on the saw till I'm building for my handsaws. The fitted drawers will probably come later. I've taken the standard "Old Tools List" design and shortened the length from 36" to 30".

Dennis McDonaugh
03-01-2003, 8:57 AM
Well Doc, I'm going to watch my son, Kerry run at a track meet this morning. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to be standing in the rain. Later, I hope to finish a set of boat shelves I'm building as a gift to a friend.

Mike St.Amand
03-01-2003, 8:58 AM
Well, I'll be making my first attempt at intarsia.... I hope my wife will be able to recognize the end result :confused:

Regards,
Mike in Vt.

Steve K
03-01-2003, 9:01 AM
Moving on in our remodel. I'll be mudding and sanding drywall most of the day. If I get real ambitious I may head to the basement and finish up some framing to drywall that as well.

Steve (http://www2.fwi.com/~krumy)

John Wadsworth
03-01-2003, 9:02 AM
Lessee--

OK, put the last coat of poly on some wide, glued-up clear pine shelves to go in some cupboards SWMBO is rearranging. Since the only warm space I have now is near the furnace in the cellar, I'm using the water-based stuff and am pleased with the results and ecstatic about the ease of cleanup.

BTW, the little white plastic tripods the come in pizza boxes are great for keeping partly finished flat stuff off the newspapers protecting the surface you're using (whether floor or table).

And oh, yeah--finally got around to shaving a fraction off some binding cabinet doors. One I had to do twice (drat!). When remounting doors, pay attention to getting hinges right side around (DAMHIKT).

Finally, I'm re-doing the dividers in the drawers we keep our CD collection in, making five rows per drawer instead of four, for a capacity icrease of... (slight whirring noise)...25%! This involves taking out the old (1/4" lauan ply) lateral dividers and gang-sawing new slots in batches of 'em at a time on the TS, all guards off and blade fully raised, a somewhat scary cut.

Also spending some hours trying to get shop arranged as best I can with today's benches, cabinets, boxes, etc., and plotting out the very necessary future improvements (mostly in storage, but I sure could use a dedicated chopsaw station and a dedicated grinding/honing area).

Howard Barlow
03-01-2003, 9:53 AM
I'll be running a new 100 amp subpanel to my garage. I'm tired of stringing extension cords from my shop. If I plug much of anything into the garage outlets, I kill SWMBO tv, lights, etc. She has a problem with that.:D

Jim Izat
03-01-2003, 10:12 AM
I've come to a standstill on my mahogany/curly maple bed because I've found that I don't have an assembly table half big enough to do the glue up for the foot board far less the head board so I'm building an assembly table/wookbench/outfeed table about 36x72 inches which'll give me a total surface area of about thirty square feet including the unisaw and its table board to work with.

Funny you all should talk about cleaning up. I've found that leaving an inch or so of shavings on the floor takes a lot of the strain of standing on cold concrete all day off the legs and back. I guess I'll just leave it there,

Jim Izat

Angelo Schembari
03-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Making some stuff round and sorting out a pile of free "scraps" i picked up. Maybe I'll actually finish my router table top.