PDA

View Full Version : Nova cole jaws on jet mini with nova midi chuck?

Patrick Taylor
05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
I have the jet mini (10" swing) with the nova "precision midi" chuck. The nova cole jaws say that for a swing of 10" or less, you have to use the mini cole jaws. This table (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Cole.htm) shows the maximum external bowl grip as 6.2" with that combination of chuck and jaws.

Am I correct that:

The largest cole jaws I can use are the nova mini jaws?
The largest bowl I can then mount in the cole jaws is 6.2" diameter?I want cole jaws, but typically turn bowls in the 8-9" range, so that wouldn't be of much use. Anyone have any experience with a similar setup?

Jim Becker
05-10-2007, 2:04 PM
You really don't need the Cole jaws to turn objects of the size you desire...you can just use a jam-chuck for finishing off bottoms and the like. And because that's between centers, it's darn safe. Only a very small nub is left which can be unobtrusively removed with a sharp carving gouge or chisel and a little hand sanding. Oh, and the price is right...some scrap wood and a piece of old carpet padding will do quite nicely!

Patrick Taylor
05-10-2007, 2:11 PM
You really don't need the Cole jaws to turn objects of the size you desire...you can just use a jam-chuck for finishing off bottoms and the like. And because that's between centers, it's darn safe. Only a very small nub is left which can be unobtrusively removed with a sharp carving gouge or chisel and a little hand sanding. Oh, and the price is right...some scrap wood and a piece of old carpet padding will do quite nicely!

You're right, that's what I've been doing so far... but I've got that new tool itch!

The convenience sounds nice, but I don't like the sound of the apparent size limitation. I suppose you need room for the buttons and the jaw expansion... Hopefully someone can confirm my assumptions.

Paul Zerjay
05-10-2007, 2:23 PM
I bought a set of regular size cole jaws awhile ago for my Nova chuck and if I remember correctly they were quite expensive. I can honestly say they ain't worth it! Do yourself a favor and make an inexpensive donut chuck. Way better in my opinion, and a fun project as well. Keep in mind this is just one more step closer to a vacuum chuck.

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2007, 7:31 PM
I use donut chucks to finish the bottom of my bowls. You can make just about any size you want to fit your lathe. Do a search for Donut Chucks.