PDA

View Full Version : Drinking-Driving-Paris Hilton-Ty Pennington-A Few Posts Rolled Into One!!

Phyllis Meyer
05-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Responsibility-Accountability...Who here on the forum was taught as a young child if we do something wrong we have to not only own up to it, but be punished and there are consequesnces! This could be for coloring with markers on a wall as a 5 year old, to drunk driving as an adult!

My sister-n-law was killed by a hit and run drunk driver while walking. The young man decided to drive home and proceed to cover up the evidence on his truck with the help of family members. They would have gotten away with this if it had not been for another young man (apparently taught right from wrong) that he was at the bar with, coming forward, and in a matter of hours the police were able to find the vehicle (already on a trailer to be hauled somewhere...no evidence...no conviction). This young man was arrested and was awarded the privilege of being out on bail (yes Paris a privilege) and was able to work and be at home with the only stipulation being he could not leave our county or drink. He decided with the help of family and friends to leave our county to play on a baseball team and they celebrate victories with alcohol. Long story short...someone reported his actions and he was arrested and because of his actions (not for drunk driving...but for hit and run and violating the terms of his bail), he now sits in a prison for 10 years! He has never admitted to doing anything wrong, his family blames us for him being in prison. We also found out that this 22 year old was picked up 11 (ELEVEN) times for alcohol-related offenses, but family funded his way out of each offense! Who is truly at fault here?

Please understand, I have forgiven him (my God so lovingly made me understand how important that was)! A young man just two weeks shy of graduating high school was killed in our community this week. Along with Paris Hilton all over television with her blaming everyone else and this horrible campaign to let her get away with breaking the law...what is that teaching her or any of us watching? Extreme Makeover is one of my favorite shows...I hate that he drove while intoxicated, but I commend him for OWNING UP TO IT! A simple question and a plea...Paris-Ty, can you afford a cab, limo ride, or do you have a family member or friend that cares enough about you to drive you anywhere you want to go?

I shy away from controversy here on the forum and in life. I have decided that I am not going to sit by and watch this happen in our community, and all over the country anymore. I write this from my heart, I don't imagine that most here on the forum can afford a limo driver, but Please take a moment to hand over your keys if you are drinking to someone who is not if you are at a graduation party this spring, family get together, or the local bar, PLEASE! If you are a parent hosting a graduation party, and you plan on having alcohol with underage children and you think you will solve the problem by taking their keys... a young life was also taken in that very scenerio by alcohol poisoning in our community! Who is accountable in that situation?

I care about all of you and your children to share this story! I do not point fingers and blame others, or judge anyone! I am just as guilty as an adult if I continue to be quiet. If I can help someone, it's time! If alcohol is a problem for you or someone you love, please ask for help! There is help!

I have to leave you with a cute saying because my wish for all of you is peace, love, and much laughter!
"IF FRIENDS WERE FLOWERS, I WOULD PICK YOU!":)

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Belinda Barfield
05-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Phyllis,

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for caring enough to share your concerns. As I child I was taught the three R's: respect for self, respect for others, and responsibility for my actions. Those of us who accept responsibility for our actions seem to be in the minority these days - at least where I live. From drug dealers to child molesters, it is always some else's fault. As far as drinking goes, sadly it seems the more intoxicated the person, the more he/she thinks it is okay to drive. A friend left work (at Hooters) a few weeks ago, and decided to stop at the bar across the street for a few drinks after work. This was a midnight. She decided to go home about 3 a.m. and has a 30 mile drive down back roads to get there. Midway home she passes out at the wheel and drives under the trailer of a semi. Total loss of her vehicle, damage to the semi, couple of hours to cut her out of the car, multiple critical injuries, multiple units of blood, no insurance, and a 6 month old baby at home with her mother. Because of the time elapsed from her leaving the bar, until she got to the hospital, as well as multiple units of blood, her blood alcohol did not show her to be intoxicated. Long story short, she gets a benefit golf tournament in her honor to raise funds for her medical bills and lots of "Oh, you poor dear". I really took issue with this, but at least it helps defray the cost to the government.

Joe Pelonio
05-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Phyllis,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I think most of us know someone that has been lost to a drunk driver, in my case it's a younger brother, about 15 years ago in CA. Again a case where there had been a previous history. Here in WA they have tried to tighten up the laws but it's still up to the drinking people and their families to make sure not to drive intoxicated, and it still happens way too often.

Now my son's driving an ambulance my wife and I worry continually because many of his calls are for drug and alcohol related injuries, and driving at speed in traffic to get people to the hospital leaves him vulnerable to careless but especially impaired drivers that get in the way. He's had some close calls already in the first few months.

It took me a long time to get over the loss of my brother, in fact I never will totally. My only advice is to remember the good times together and as you are doing, do what you can to remind people of the dangers.

Al Willits
05-10-2007, 12:47 PM
No offense to anybody, but I think we need a bit less forgiving and a bit more enforcement of our laws, multiple offenders need to be kept off the streets.

I lost a close friend to a drunk driver, if I remember right, it was his 7th offense for drunk driving in less than 2 years, I neither forgive him or the court system that let this person roam our roadways continually drunk time after time.

imho, its time for less feel good, and more get tough on criminals.

Al...who's tired of to many victims, and to many crooks.

Ken Garlock
05-10-2007, 1:24 PM
I second that, Al.

Let's add mandatory 20 years for any convicted pedifile. There are too many judges that are too soft on criminals. Take their discretion away with mandatory sentences.

Belinda Barfield
05-10-2007, 1:47 PM
I third that Al.

Ken,

I would be a little harsher than you on pedophiles, but agree with your comments overall.

Jason Roehl
05-10-2007, 5:19 PM
I believe there's a difference between forgiveness and not facing consequences. I could do something wrong, be forgiven, but still have consequences that cost me in one way, shape or form. If you're disgusted by the petition to have the Governator pardon Miss Hilton, then you should know that there is also a petition to the Governator to make sure she serves the sentence she has received. I won't post it here. That's about all I can say without straying far into the realms of the religious and political.

Jerry Clark
05-10-2007, 7:42 PM
I am so glad that everyone is taking DUI more serious--

Baltimore Ravens' Steve McNair Arrested for DUI

Posted May 10th 2007 8:52AM by Michael David Smith (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/bloggers/michael-david-smith)
Filed under: Ravens (http://ravens.aolsportsblog.com/), Baltimore (http://baltimore.aolsportsblog.com/), Nashville (http://nashville.aolsportsblog.com/), Breaking News (http://breaking-news.aolsportsblog.com/)
Ravens quarterback Steve McNair was arrested for driving under the influence (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-mcnair0510,0,2911203.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines) late Wednesday in Nashville -- even though he wasn't driving. McNair's brother-in-law was driving the car, which is owned by McNair, and since the brother-in-law was drunk, that was enough to get McNair arrested on DUI charges:

Under Tennessee law, the owner of the vehicle can be charged if he or she is the passenger when the driver is arrested on DUI charges. The owner can be charged even if he or she is not intoxicated, Foley said. It was not clear whether McNair was impaired.

Matt Meiser
05-10-2007, 8:33 PM
All I will say is that I refuse to understand why killing someone while driving drunk is not considered murder and injuring someone is not considered attempted murder by our legal system.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2007, 8:55 PM
Matt.........I'm not a lawyer.....but I suspect it has to do with Intent.....Driving and drinking is stupid.........but I don't think the drivers intend to kill someone. I think there ought to be harsh punishments for people who are convicted of it more than once. Once.....a lesson to be learned...punishment dealt out..twice....the lesson obviously wasn't learned stern, harsh punishment!

Chuck E Cobb
05-10-2007, 9:49 PM
I have no sympathy for drunk drivers at all. I lost my 14 year old nephew to a drunk driver who had at least 7 DUI before losing his license for life , but kept driving anyway and the local cops knew he was driving and "let it slid"... all because he had money and connections. The court let his girlfriend take the hit for hitting my nephew so he got off even thought there was many witnesses that said he was driving, but the court let it slid as well.

Too often the courts let the rich and powerful get away with it and it is time for change, time for the law to apply to all the same.

Chuck

Matt Meiser
05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Matt.........I'm not a lawyer.....but I suspect it has to do with Intent.....

I realize that's why they treat it the way they do, but the way I see things, it drunk drivers who hurt or kill shouldn't be treated any differently than someone who shoots into a crowd and "accidentally" hits someone.

And on that note I think I'll be quiet on this subject before I incur the wrath of the mods. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Matt.......No moderator will give you a rough time for disagreeing with them.

We both agree on several points.....driving while intoxicated is illegal and should be dealt with harshly. People who have their driver's license revoked for any reason including DWI and get caught driving without a license...should do some prison time.......

Matt Meiser
05-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Actually Ken, I forgot you were a mod :)

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2007, 8:02 AM
DRIVING AGAIN on a suspended license. Yep, happened yesterday. Is she so stupid she thinks won't be spotted?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2007, 8:29 AM
DRIVING AGAIN on a suspended license. Yep, happened yesterday. Is she so stupid she thinks won't be spotted?

About this time I wanted to make a "blonde joke" comment...but then I remembered...I was blonde before I went white...:rolleyes:

If she really was driving again...and got caught....let her hang!

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2007, 8:35 AM
Amen, Ken. Being blonde, but not stupid, I probably would have enjoyed a good joke. Maybe we should start a PH competition, how many Paris Hilton's does it take (insert joke here). Oops, that may not be allowed.

More than the drunk driving issue, I am just really bent about her complete belief that she is above the law and that the rules just don't apply.

Al Willits
05-11-2007, 9:27 AM
""""""""
More than the drunk driving issue, I am just really bent about her complete belief that she is above the law and that the rules just don't apply.
""""""

Well, considering she's probably been spoiled little rich girl all her life, its not hard to imagine she still thinks she's above the law.
My money says she doesn't serve a day, worst case is she gets manision..er...house arrest for a little bit....

Al...who hopes maybe this will traumatize her, and she'll move to France

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2007, 9:36 AM
Al...who hopes maybe this will traumatize her, and she'll move to France

LOL!!! Maybe she will move to France. I can think of several other celebs she can take with her. You know, so she won't miss Hollywood so much!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2007, 9:53 AM
LOL!!! Maybe she will move to France. I can think of several other celebs she can take with her. You know, so she won't miss Hollywood so much!:D

So can we start the list of people to accompany her now or should we wait for the announcement that she's departing?:eek: :rolleyes: :D