PDA

View Full Version : Glued-on hinges?

Jamie Buxton
05-10-2007, 9:42 AM
I'm considering a box design which won't have the thickness to allow wood screws for fastening the hinges. Has anybody tried epoxy for fastening metal hinges to wood?

John D Watson
05-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Jaimie, It does'nt work. In similiar situations I have used eschusion (SP) pins. Small brass nails. Pre-drill for the nails and epoxy the nail in the hole. Have not had one fail yet. You may have to drill the hinge to fit the pins as well. Good luck.

Jamie Buxton
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Jaimie, It does'nt work. In similiar situations I have used eschusion (SP) pins. Small brass nails. Pre-drill for the nails and epoxy the nail in the hole. Have not had one fail yet. You may have to drill the hinge to fit the pins as well. Good luck.

Why doesn't glue work? Does the epoxied wood-to-metal bond fail?

(In this design I'm considering, the box's wall thickness near the hinge will be about 3/16" Escutcheon pins, like screws, would just go right through the wall. That's why I'm wondering about gluing the hinges.)

Ted Jay
05-10-2007, 1:19 PM

(In this design I'm considering, the box's wall thickness near the hinge will be about 3/16" Escutcheon pins, like screws, would just go right through the wall. That's why I'm wondering about gluing the hinges.)

How about using a small dia dowel glued in the holes instead of screws.

John D Watson
05-10-2007, 1:22 PM
I've had the metal epoxy bond fail more than once. 3/16 is enough for a screw with its point cut off, if your careful.

glenn bradley
05-10-2007, 1:27 PM

You don't have much material there but maybe kerf hinges would work:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16927&filter=hinge

I'm guessing here as I am trying to visualize your hinge-point. Perhaps you could kerf the material before thicknessing(?).

nic obie
05-10-2007, 1:55 PM
I use kerf hinges for boxes all the time. They will work on 3/16 stock.

Mike K Wenzloff
05-10-2007, 2:27 PM
Another option if the wood is hard, is to drill and tap the holes and use small brass bolts. Lee Valley sells drill/tap kits for this which is more convenient than obtaining them seperately unless you have a well stocked hardware store around.

I use them all the time, even in thicker cabinets. They hold better than screws and one can doesn't risk twisting screws off in hard woods.

Not certain I have left only 3/16" above the hinge. But my smaller box lids are rarely a true half inch thick when finished and I typically use Brusso hinges and they are fairly thick.

Here's the LV linky:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40057&cat=3,41306,41330

Take care, Mike