PDA

View Full Version : More parts soon to be yet another plane

Ron Brese
05-10-2007, 8:30 AM
These are parts that will be going into the new version of the 800-225 smoother. The wooden bits are in the finishing room getting a regular schedule of french polish. I hope to have this plane together and fettled early next week and I will post complete pics at that time.

Ron Brese

David Tiell
05-10-2007, 9:33 AM
Looks like that will be one very nice-looking plane! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Jim Becker
05-10-2007, 9:35 AM
I don't think that iron is heavy enough...LOL! Very nice, Ron!

Ron Brese
05-10-2007, 10:23 AM
It's only 1/4" thick Jim! Lots of people don't realize how much heat is generated at the cutting edge on a 50 degree pitch plane. Thicker irons tend to absorb and release heat better. Besides that generous bevel makes hand honing so easy.

Ron

Ron Brese
05-10-2007, 1:04 PM
David the infill is walnut with some pretty nice figure in the tote, and I think it will be a bit of eye candy, however as planes go I'm expecting a very high level of performance to go with the looks. To me a nice tool combines aesthetics with great function.

Ron

Terry Bigelow
05-10-2007, 4:37 PM
WOW Ron! Looks great. Are the sides dovetailed into the sole? If so I can't see anything from the pics! Great work as usual and I'll be waiting to see the end result.

Zahid Naqvi
05-10-2007, 5:09 PM
Nice Ron, looking forward to the pictures of the finished plane.

Ron Brese
05-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Terry,

I use the integral rivet technique for fastening my plane bodies together. The process I use is very similar to the process that Karl Holtey uses to assemble his #98 plane body. This method applies the fastening forces at right angles to the joint and creates an incredibly solid plane body.

Ron

Terry Bigelow
05-14-2007, 7:21 AM
Ahhh yes Ron, now I remember your post a while back on this method. I'll have to look it up again to refresh my memory! Thanks.