PDA

View Full Version : First project and question

Ben West
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm a true beginner, and I've just completed my first substantial project, a patio table made from eastern red cedar. I made a pile of mistakes along the way, but I'm actually pretty happy about it.

Question: on pieces like this (almost mission style) where you don't want many formed edges, how do you break the sharp edges? I did this piece with a sanding block, but considered a very small chamfer. What do you do?

Long-time lurker, first post. This is truly an outstanding forum and has been a great help thus far!

Brad Schmid
05-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Welcome Ben!
Fine job on your first project.

As for your question, I usually use a fine set low angle block plane for breaking edges.

cheers

Charles Jackson III
05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Very nice project, better than my first lol.

Don Bullock
05-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Ben welcome to the Creek. Congratulations on your first project. It liiks great and I don't see any mistakes.

Tom Cowie
05-10-2007, 5:53 AM
Hi Ben

Nice job on the table.

Always remember "mistakes" are just the begining of a new and better way of doing something.:D most of my woodworking mistakes turn into birdfeeders. lots and lots of birdfeeders.......:D

Tom

Rob Tolentino
05-10-2007, 6:06 AM
The table looks great for a first project. You should be proud of it. The choice is really yours. I do prefer to either chamfer or roundover my projects to take off the sharp edges if I think the piece needs it. Try some small projects such as footstools and the like, and experiment with the edges to see what you feel comfortable with. Good luck.