PDA

View Full Version : Port 25 & E-mail

Bart Leetch
01-02-2004, 11:32 PM
I always seem to be able to receive E-mail. But sometimes have problems sending.

I have a free account with HotPoP because we live & work at an apartment & have free DSL provided by the company but Verizon wants to charge for more than the 1 E-mail account & this would mix things up with the company paying for the DSL & their E-mail account & then us also trying to have 2 more E-mail accounts.

I get this message when I try to send E-Mail

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.hotpop.com', Server: 'smtp.hotpop.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this thing work all the time.

Thanks.

John Miliunas
01-03-2004, 12:43 AM
Bart, I found the following through "Google":

Error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'youraccount', Server: 'www.yourdomain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

You are on a an ISP (such as Earthlink or Mindspring) that blocks their users using any SMTP server other than their own. Your solution is as follows:

To set up Earthlink, Mindspring, or your ISP's SMTP servers for your outgoing email you must click on your account settings in the email client you are using (Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape etc.)

In the SMTP (outgoing mail server) field you will enter smtp.earthlink.net (or whatever your dial up or direct access ISP's SMTP server is) as your SMTP server. You must then enter your Earthlink (or your ISP's) username and password for that mail server.

In Outlook Express it is at the bottom of that same tab. You must uncheck 'My server requires authentication' and click on 'settings' to enter your Earthlink (or your ISP's) username and password.

Your email will still be from your own domain name, the only difference is in the way it is routed throughout the Internet. Instead of being sent through our servers it is processed through Earthlink (or your ISP's) servers. This allows Earthlink (or your ISP) to monitor its users.

Hope it's of some use to you.... :cool:

Jim Becker
01-03-2004, 12:26 PM
John is correct...you need to use the Verizon SMTP server for outgoing email support. I do this with my own domain (although I don't have to) as it's simpler to deal with. You will not be affecting your billing, either, as you are not establishing "extra accounts". Verizon will require you to authenticate, however, so you'll need your Verizon UID and PW when you set up the outgoing server information in your email client.