PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions.

Andrew Welch 1977
05-09-2007, 8:30 PM
Hey guys, I have some more quick questions for everyone.

I've been thinking about the tools I bought a few years ago and now I'm realizing I probably don't need some of them. Plus my brother could use some cash to cover his debts (most created
by me :o).

The first two tools I was wondering about are a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw and a RIDGID 10" radial arm saw. Is there any reason to keep the them both or will the radial arm saw do everything the miter saw does and more?

The third one is a RIDGID floor standing drill press. The table on it seems to be made more for metal working and as I think back the only reason I bought it was because it was a floor standing drill press. Would selling it
and buying a higher quality benchtop drill press be worthwhile or should I try
to modify it to make it more suitable for woodworking. A new table for example.

Last one is my table saw. I bought the
Dewalt DW744s a few years back thinking it was a solid purchase. I do like the saw and it works perfectly but if I
start sawing hardwood on a regular basis and get further into table making and the like, would a hybrid saw make more sense long term or should I save and save some more until I can buy a cabinet saw?

Sorry for so many questions lately.
I have some woodworking experience. But, it's more building things in the backyard or a shelving unit kind of experience. My hope is that I can start
doing the things I wanted to do in the first place with woodworking, like taking my time and building something I'm proud of instead of just building w/e my
family wants me to build this time and do it as quickly as possible.:(

Any advice would be really helpful and very appreciated.

Roy McQuay
05-09-2007, 8:41 PM
My advice is keep what you have for now. You wouldn't get anywhere near the amount they cost new. As you work with what you have, then decide if you want different tools. The cheapest tools are the ones you already have. Just my opinion.

Don Bullock
05-09-2007, 9:29 PM
I agree with Roy. You can help with the debt better by not buying anything and using that cash to get rid of the debt.