PDA

View Full Version : Slot cutting router bit

Aaron Beaver
05-09-2007, 8:06 PM
I bought a 1/8" by 1 7/8 dia slot cutting bit. I also had to buy an arbor for it, which is a 1/2" shank with 5/16 spindle and it has a B5 bearing.

I have never used one of these and have a question. The arbor came with 3 washers that are under the bearing, so I took the nut and bearing off and just slid the cutting bit on top of the washers, is that correct?

Second, what about tightening the nut? I tighten it the oposite way the bit spins is that right?

Example looking down on top of the router tabe the bits spins counter-clockwise(ccw), to tighten the nut I go clockwise. Which means to loosen it I would go ccw, so would the nut be trying to loosen when I turn the router on since it spins ccw and the nut comes off going ccw or am I just thinking to much.

Part II, I didn't see any other bearings at Woodcraft that had a 5/16 bore like the B5 that came with the arbor had. Result is the bearing is so big that the slot cutter doesn't go as deep as I need.
So do I buy smaller bearings or buy larger diameter slot cutter.

glenn bradley
05-09-2007, 8:41 PM
I bought a 1/8" by 1 7/8 dia slot cutting bit. I also had to buy an arbor for it, which is a 1/2" shank with 5/16 spindle and it has a B5 bearing.

I have never used one of these and have a question. The arbor came with 3 washers that are under the bearing, so I took the nut and bearing off and just slid the cutting bit on top of the washers, is that correct?

Knowing the brand and model of the bit would help. Best guess is arbor, washer, cutter, washer, bearing, washer. Generally the washer that sits between the nut and the bearing is shaped differently.

Second, what about tightening the nut? I tighten it the oposite way the bit spins is that right?

Example looking down on top of the router tabe the bits spins counter-clockwise(ccw), to tighten the nut I go clockwise. Which means to loosen it I would go ccw, so would the nut be trying to loosen when I turn the router on since it spins ccw and the nut comes off going ccw or am I just thinking to much.

thinking too much.

Part II, I didn't see any other bearings at Woodcraft that had a 5/16 bore like the B5 that came with the arbor had. Result is the bearing is so big that the slot cutter doesn't go as deep as I need.
So do I buy smaller bearings or buy larger diameter slot cutter.

Hmmm, I'd feel better knowing what bit you have but my guess is that it is not specifically suited to what you wanted to do. I'm sorry that is not very helpful. Woodcraft's site gives a legend for cutting height and depth but I notice their picture does no indicate these. No help there. If you bought it at Woodcraft their tech support folks are pretty helpful.

Aaron Beaver
05-09-2007, 9:11 PM
This is what I have and got, but I can see now it list other bearings at the bottom but the depth only gets you 5/8 deep and I wanted to get 3/4" deep.

Tim Sproul
05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
For 3/4 inch depth, I'd opt to use a straight bit rather than a slot cutter. If you're slotting the work on it's edge, you can set up a horizontal router table....like a slot mortiser....or you can make a tall fence to support the work in a traditional router table set up.

That's just how I'd handle cutting 3/4 inch deep stuff.

Another handy option is a biscuit joiner, if the width of the slot is the same as the kerf or larger than the kerf. Take care not to climb cut with the biscuit joiner as that is a pretty certain why of marring the work and marring it pretty badly. I think a #20 biscuit might be 1 1/2 inch width so you might get 3/4 depth.

Brian Gumpper
05-10-2007, 8:08 PM
For a 3/4" cut depth, the slot cutter would have to be at least 1-1/2" in diameter just to support the cut depth then the 5/16" spindle and some bearing material. That puts the cutter over 2" and they are just not that big.