PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Savers?

Kim Ford
05-09-2007, 1:53 PM
I really enjoy the "Creek" and learn something new everytime I am able to read the threads. Thanks to everyone for your responses and your paitience. Now, I would like to ask a question.

I have a large (45" diameter at the base) "Cigar Chestnut" (according to the locals) that must come out this summer. It has topped out and we are starting to get dead wood in crown and during a Wisconsin wind storm that is dangerous. It is in some drawings we have of the home from around 1850, so I know it is old and it looks to be in pretty good shape as far as the wood is concerned. A limb came down last year and there appears to be some very interesting color and grain patterns. I'd like to take it down and want to get all of the blanks I can if the wood is useable.

I know nothing about bowl savers except an article I read in the 90's about a guy that used an old car spring and was able to "nest bowls". I am not even remotely suggesting that practice, thats just all I know about the whole concept.

What's out there and what really works?

Thanks

Kim Ford

Dario Octaviano
05-09-2007, 2:00 PM
Check the coring tools here

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/bowl_coring.html

I personally own the standard McNaughton coring system and it works

Frank Kobilsek
05-09-2007, 2:34 PM
Kim,
I have the Woodcut system. Picked it up used on the internet and had the blades retipped. I like it but it ain't magic. If you get any coring system be ready with big jaws for your chuck and HP to spare. I can stall my 1.5 HP Jet 1642 with my Woodcut system.

Frank

Paul Engle
05-09-2007, 3:07 PM
Kim,, I know all about bowl savers , you send me some cigar Chestnut , I make bowls and save em....:D :D :D You could also google " coring bowls " there are a couple of videos out there and you can search the smc site also.

Mike Vickery
05-09-2007, 3:57 PM
I am with Dario I have and love the McNaughton medium set. The craft supplies page he listed has the only 3 I currently know of on the market.

If you have access to a lot of wood the is over 10 inches in diameter it should be a must have. Some learning curve but it is not to bad.

Kim Ford
05-09-2007, 5:10 PM
Thanks for you input. I really appreciate it.

Has anyone used the Oneway system?

Kim