PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with ABS Plastic

Keith Outten
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I have been experimenting with 1/16" thick ABS plastic this morning trying to cut 3/4" tall letters for signs. My 35 watt machine will cut the ABS at 100% power and 45% speed. I tried adjusting the speed in 5% increments from 5% to 50%. At 50% the ABS won't cut through, the quality of cut is a bit ragged and seems to get worse as the speed decreases.

Does anyone have any experience with ABS Plastic?
Have you been able to get a reasonable quality cut?

I hate to waste time trying to establish a technique on a material that has poor vector cutting capability. If ABS is not a good choice I need to go back to acrylic and get on with the job at hand.

TIA

Mike Mackenzie
05-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Kieth,

We cut ABS a lot what we found is to use lower power and slower speeds. The material likes to melt so by lowering the power you reduce the heat and have less melt.

The difference in time to cut at 45 speed and at 10 speed is minimal.

Joe Pelonio
05-09-2007, 3:54 PM
I've done up to 3/8" with my 45 watt, though I prefer to stick to 1/4" or less.
I cut a bunch of 1/16 the other day and set it at 30 speed, 75power, 5000 freq and it cut cleanly like butter.

Keith Outten
05-09-2007, 9:56 PM
Thanks guys,

I did some more testing today and started lowering the power setting. The quality of the cut got a bit better but not as god as I need for my sign project. Now that I know it is possible to attain a smooth cut I will keep trying.

Marc Myer
05-10-2007, 2:30 PM
I'd like to use ABS instead of acrylic for a lot of items (1/8"), but am hesitant.
Is the smell worse/more acrid than acrylic?
I used to use a rotary CNC mill to cut ABS a few years ago, and it seemed the quality was inconsistent. It had little imperfections in the surface: is that common? I need a smooth surface, and a good smooth cut, but don't want to make a big minimum purchase on a hunch.

Joe Pelonio
05-10-2007, 3:26 PM
Too bad you have to pay for a minimum, I can buy it locally as small a piece as I want, but I guess out there in paradise it's harder to find.

Yes, it does smell a lot worse than acrylic. The stuff I get is pretty much perfect, though I often use the pebble finish which of course has a rough texture on the good side, and the back side may have imperfections.

Larry Bratton
05-10-2007, 4:17 PM
Keith, what frequency setting are you using? I had a similar problem on some other plastic, and I kicked the frequency up to 2500. I notice Joe stated 5000 which would work too. I cut that plastic out and it did a great job and applied it to a sign I posted on here a couple of weeks ago. Don't think it was ABS though, just plain old Rowmark.

Harlan Kilbourn
05-13-2007, 1:09 PM
Can ABS be engraved for color fill? Cutting sounds possible, now my question is what are the problems or limitations of engraving it.

I have a molded Black piece of ABS that is to be engraved for color fill. At present I do not have a test sample that play with today but hopefully will have one later this week.

Long time student learning from the experts.

Thanks,
Harlan

Larry Bratton
05-13-2007, 5:24 PM
Harlin:
ABS is actually too soft to laser engrave. Rowmark doesn't recommend it nor does IPS. Check this link.
http://www.rowmark.com/MARK/laser_guide/pages/prod.asp

Gary Hair
05-13-2007, 9:57 PM
Harlin:
ABS is actually too soft to laser engrave. Rowmark doesn't recommend it nor does IPS. Check this link.
http://www.rowmark.com/MARK/laser_guide/pages/prod.asp

Of course they don't. When you find out it can be painted and engraved just like their product, for about 1/10th the price, they will lose business...

It cuts well, engraves well and if you paint it with KEM paint it gives you a great result, better than Rowmark or IPS. Best of all, you only have to buy one sheet and you can paint any color you like. I just bought two sheets of 4' x 8' for just over $42.00 shipped!
I wouldn't use it for large quantities of badges or something like that, too labor intensive, but for a few of a particular item in a particular color, you can't beat it.
I got mine from: www.professionalplastics.com (http://www.professionalplastics.com) - if you call, Ask for Rich and tell him Gary from Laser Image sent you. It won't get either of us anything but good will! They have locations all over the US, Rich is in Portland, OR, just up the road from me.

Gary

art baylor
05-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Keith:

Long ago I used to buy plastics. We use to buy a laser cut white ABS haircell pattern panel ( .093 or 1/8") that could not have discolored edges. Back then the supplier used nitrogen or CO2 as his air assist gas. Sorry I don't remember which.

Art