PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster Size for Shingles

Brian Parker
05-09-2007, 10:12 AM
I have done some calculating and I believe that I am right but I have found from working on sites before that dumpsters always have a way of filling up with more material than originally planned since there are air gaps (not to mention others helping you fill it at night).

I have 22 sq of shingles and tar paper to remove for yet another DIY project. I figure that a 9 yd hopper should do the job but I wanted to see if anyone had any first hand info.

I was working for a contractor about 10 yrs ago for a summer job and we did a roof about the same sq size as this house and he got a ~4 yd hopper and we filled it twice. The reason I want to know is yes I don't want to go way too big and pay more than I have to and not use the space. On the other hand I don't want to be held up on the job waiting for the dumpster to get emptied so that I can finish tear off.

If you have any experience with this please include a price you paid and the and the size. I'll help me gauge if things are in the ball park.

Thanks

David G Baker
05-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Brian,
When I had my roof replaced the roofers had a 20 yard box delivered. As it turned out I had to have my roof sheeting replaced so they had to get another box that held 30 yards. They didn't need the whole 50 yards so I got rid of a bunch of stuff that had been laying around since I purchased my place.
The box rental can be quite expensive depending on your area but I feel that you may be wise to error on the bigger size rather than having to rent a second box. It is also much easier to load the waste material in a larger box.

jeremy levine
05-09-2007, 10:30 AM
A contractor friend of mine has his men climb in a rearrange the dumpsters, it recovers a lot of space , and therefore time/money.

Brian Parker
05-09-2007, 10:44 AM
The roof doesn't appear to need any sheathing replaced since there are no visible 'waves' in it, but like any project you don't know for certain until you strip it down and see what all is being hidden from the naked eye. I think that a 10yd will do about 30 sq but I'm not positive.

The best price I have so far is $275 for a 10yd and I can fill it with 2 tons of junk. I have seen the 15yd for $320 and haul 3 tons in it, as I said I *think* 10 will do but thats why I posted here just to see if I am in the ballpark or need to go larger.

- Jeremy, thats a good point and I have done that whenever we didn't have a hoe on site to use the hydraulics to compact the load to make sure it wasn't above the top of the hopper. In this case with the sheer number of nails that are going to be in bedded in the scrap shingles I'm not going to risk the possibility of a few nails in the shoe, although I am up to date on my tetnis (sp) shot :D

Greg Cole
05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Hey Brian,
I did about 16 squares on my roof last fall. A 10 yarder is fine. I only about 1/2 filled it. No sheathing stripped, just paper & shingles.
Now when I stripped the siding, trim, gutters, windows and a 16' X 24' deck.... I had to get a 20 yarder and filled it twice.
What a nice vacation that all was....well at least having my Dad around for a week was (he lives 1500 miles away). 63 years old and he worked like a young stud along side me 12-15 hours a day for 7 days.

Greg

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
A contractor friend of mine has his men climb in a rearrange the dumpsters, it recovers a lot of space , and therefore time/money.

I have images in my mind of guys stepping on nails and getting all ripped up on the detritus.

I wonder what it costs him in labor.

jeremy levine
05-09-2007, 1:32 PM
I have images in my mind of guys stepping on nails and getting all ripped up on the detritus.

I wonder what it costs him in labor.
I don't know but he swears buy it .... Just don't tell OSHA

Chris Damm
05-10-2007, 7:19 AM
22 sq. is going to be way more than 2 tons of scrap!

Brian Parker
05-10-2007, 9:18 AM
22 sq. is going to be way more than 2 tons of scrap!

a bundle weights about 75 lbs, so 3 to a sq = 225/sq x 20.3 (buying a little more than one sq extra) = 4567lbs ~ 2.23 tons, toss in another hundred lbs for tar paper and it would fall in line closely.

Doug M Jones
05-10-2007, 9:35 AM
Prices must be cheaper out here in the heartland. When I did my siding a 15 yard container was $265 and the 20 yard was $310 so I went for the bigger as insurance since it was a lot cheaper to get the 20 and not need it than to dump the 15 twice.

Jim Becker
05-10-2007, 9:51 AM
Doug, 8 yard container here is $375 from the least expensive place I found!