PDA

View Full Version : Panel or ply for small bookcase back?

Adam Burgess
05-09-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm planning on building a small book case (about 24x29) and the design requires a back. so here is my question...

can I, should I, is it a good idea to make the back panel out of solid thin 1/4 edge glued boards? or should i just bite the bullet and buy a full 4x8 sheet of 1/4 plywood? i cant find any place to buy half sheets.

fyi. cherry is the wood i'm using. also planing an oil finish.

any help or ideas would be great.

Joe Jensen
05-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Is this something for your home or a job? If it was for my home I'd do the solid back. But then, I've run out of room for projects in my house. :( Seriously, If you will be looking at it every day, build it the best way you know how, and you will swell with pride every time you look at it. Cut a corner, and that's all you will see.

Chris McDowell
05-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Adam there are a couple of ways to go about it. Most of which depends on your taste. I personally would consider making a bead board back with tongue and groove joints on the individual boards. I have done this on cabinets with glass doors and it looks sharp, provided of course you don't have your cabinet so full you can't see the back.
Edge gluing up a solid back will cause you problems with expansion and contraction as humidity changes the moisture content in the wood. That is one of the main reasons plywood is used in carcass construction. It is dimensionaly stable compared to solid lumber. You could also go with frame and panel construction. Just depends on how much work you want to get into and what kind of look you are going for. Hope this helps.

Adam Burgess
05-09-2007, 10:51 PM
thanks fot the input guys.

after visiting the lumber store i decided to go with a solid panel back after seeing that they stocked 3/8 cherry and found a 10' x 8" piece. i'll just have to deal with expantion and contration in my design with how i atatch it.

this bookcase is for my brother so i'll see it at least once a month and if there are any problems i can fix them when they come up.

thanks again.