PDA

View Full Version : What Glue for the Exotics

Tom Cowie
05-08-2007, 8:25 PM
Hello to All,

I have a lot of Padauk, Purpleheart and a list of others. Sometimes I need to glue boards together for a project. I had a serious joint failure with Titebond III so I'm back to using Titebond II. I'm thinking the III could have been a defective bottle but I was using it to glue up a panel of Lacewood. Was the wood a factor in this failure? I use Epoxy and CA glues for certain applications but have never used them to glue up panels. With the more oily woods what kind of glue is best?

Thanks for any info

Tom

Darrin Vanden Bosch
05-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Over the years pretty much all I have used is Titebond II. I have worked with a lot of exotics including Padauk, Purpleheart, Imbuya, Zebrawood, Lacewood (sold as Lacewood anyway) ect. Some woods are a little oily and should be wiped with something to insure that the glue bonds with the wood. The woods mentioned a few lines ago I've used for years and haven't had to wipe them down, just apply glue (titebond II) as you normally would. I have tried epoxy and gorilla glue on occasion and had success. I have not used titebond III at all on anything, I figure if something works....
I have seen a few of the pieces I built 15-16 years ago using Padauk, and Purpleheart with titebond II and they are still in fine condition despite being moved back and forth across the country a few times, getting bounced around.
I think I'm rambling a little bit, so I'll stop now.

Darrin

Brian Boru
05-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I wipe the surface with acetone to pull off the oils from near the surface. Then glue a few minutes later with Weldwood Resorcinol ( two part - catalyst ) or any good hardwood Epoxy like West Systems.
I have used Gorilla successfully- buy just enough to do the job - short shelf life once opened.
I ' think ' if one follows the above procedure a good yellow glue will work just fine, but cannot say. :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I have never has any issues using regular yellow glue on oily woods. However I wipe 'em with solvent like lacquer thinner after wiping with mineral spirits. Then I apply the glue before the wood can transfer more oil to the surface.
Gotta act fast ~!!

Gorilla Glues were developed exactly for working extoics in humid locations. I think the stuff is crappy glue but it seems to get you around the solvent wipe issue.

Mark Singer
05-09-2007, 3:23 PM
Oily woods like teak shoul be glued with epoxy or glue immediatley after cutting....maybe wipe eith acetone.... The oters like pauak and purpleheart are fine with Tightbond. Cocabola is another difficult one and epoxy is best

Tom Cowie
05-09-2007, 5:18 PM
Thank you all,

I guess I never thought to wipe the joints before:o . I have thought more on the use of epoxy and CA glues, but they are somewhat new to me. I'll definitely give it a try.

Tom

Scot Ferraro
05-09-2007, 6:40 PM
Polyurethane glues work well too with these types of woods.