PDA

View Full Version : Kiln Dried Dimensional Lumber - (Reno?)

Brent Dowell
05-08-2007, 4:18 PM
So, I could swear that I used to be able to go into a Borg or Lowes and be able to get straight, kiln dried dimensional lumber. Went to the Borg and Lowes over the weekend and all I could find was Green Doug Fir, and some over priced redwood.

I'm trying to build some custom screen doors for the french doors in our house (Have you seen the price of screen doors?). Pine would be fine, as they will be primed and painted.

Did they ever stock that, or am I dreaming?

As a follow up, would anybody know of a good place to get some kiln dried dimensional lumber in Reno, NV? Looking for some 2x10 and 2x8's.

Thanks in advance!

Brent

Russ Buddle
05-08-2007, 4:21 PM
Try going to a "Real" lumberyard. They will have what you are looking for.

Brent Dowell
05-08-2007, 4:41 PM
Yup, That's what I figured. I'm new to the area, that's why I went to the Borg and Lowes. Could use some help finding a 'real' lumberyard.

Thanks!

Brent

Russ Buddle
05-08-2007, 4:44 PM
I am not from the area, but as big as Reno is, there should at least be a couple lumberyards around. Good luck in your search.

Jeffrey Schronce
05-08-2007, 6:32 PM
Could use some help finding a 'real' lumberyard.

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Kelly C. Hanna
05-08-2007, 8:24 PM
In our area the BORG has better stock, but in yours since it's very dry, the yards would probably have the advantage. It's very humid here so the yards have 'curlier' woods [hi Mike...not your kinda Curly Woods!].

Brent Dowell
05-10-2007, 1:59 PM
http://www.woodfinder.com/

Woodfinder gives me 'WoodCraft' at the number one spot.

The next closest it gives is only 100 miles away in Auburn, CA :)

Guess I've still got some more looking around to do...

I usually mail order my hardwood for my projects anyway, just doesn't seem to make sense on some basic fir or pine.

I've got a stash of 2x4's that have been sitting around for years. Guess I'll just do some jointing and some glueups. That should work.