PDA

View Full Version : Let's hear it for Home Depot

Ken Garlock
05-08-2007, 2:43 PM
This spring I ordered 3 sheets of Wilson Art laminate through HD. As I was cementing a boarder to one cabinet, I found that I was running low on the Wilson Art contact cement. This morning I stopped by my friendly HD to pick up another gallon of the cement. After much looking and work by the fellow who covers the counter top area, I was told that HD doesn't carry the cement any longer, and that they now only special order the W A laminate.

I asked him if W A would not build their product down the standards of the HD home office. He grinned and said that we was a company man, but I think that he agreed.

I ended up in the paint department and found some 'original formula' Weldwood contact cement. (I had a choice, water based for $9+/qt and $27+/gal, or the original for $6+/qt.) When it comes to contact cement, if it doesn't stink, it ain't no good.:rolleyes:

The bright side of this is that there is a Lowe's under construction across the street. :D

Brad Townsend
05-08-2007, 3:34 PM
When it comes to contact cement, if it doesn't stink, it ain't no good.:rolleyes:

I'm sure most would probably agree with you, Ken. But I've used the water-based on several projects lately and I don't think I will ever go back to the smelly stuff. I need all the brain cells I can keep.:D

Todd Jensen
05-08-2007, 3:52 PM
Yeah Ken, I think its affecting your spelling.:D

Richard Wolf
05-08-2007, 4:14 PM
I need all the brain cells I can keep.:D

It only kills the weak one's.

Richard

Ken Garlock
05-08-2007, 4:17 PM
Well actually, I figured that the 'original' was time tested, and I wasn't so sure about the water based. But based upon your comments, I will definitely give it a try.

The real thing that irrigates me is the fact that they dropped Wilson Art.

Irrigate: a socially acceptable way of saying 'p*ed off.'

Matt Meiser
05-08-2007, 7:05 PM
Ken, are you sure that Weldwood was water based? Around me they have original and non-flammable. The non-flamable is still solvent based--and if you read the fine print on the back it says to extinguish all pilot lights and any other sources of ignition before use????

The water-based I used is nice. I used it on a large counter top in the lab at work--I mean at my previous employer, got to get used to that :D--that I recovered. It worked great and still smells bad enough to let you know it is work. It does clean up with water though which is really nice. Since then I used the leftovers to do my outfeed table and repair our kitchen counter where the original adhesive had let go. Both of those are holding up well too.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-08-2007, 8:05 PM
I prefer Lowes too Ken, but when it comes to treated pine, I have to go with HD. Lowes doesn't carry the new Micro ACQ or any square drive screws....go figure.

But for tools and other wood related products, they rock.

Bart Leetch
05-08-2007, 8:45 PM
I'm sure most would probably agree with you, Ken. But I've used the water-based on several projects lately and I don't think I will ever go back to the smelly stuff. I need all the brain cells I can keep.:D

Don't ever do a recover where you apply new laminate over old with water based contact cement you'll be going back to do it over again. I have had several laminate installers tell me the same thing.

glenn bradley
05-08-2007, 10:04 PM
And people wonder why we shop online. The BORGs are like a finicky old car. It'll get you there as long as you know what the quirks are and don't expect too much.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-09-2007, 9:40 AM
I have found that Lowes does some things better than HD. My local HD has a better garden section.

I got way far heavier angle and even 3/8 steel flat stock at Lowes. I think their tools are about the same.

By the way what's the deal with the Borg/s and Porter Cable. They are cutting way back on PC items.

I think Lowes' PT lumber is a tad better and lower priced.

My loyalty to HD stems solely from the fact that I know where everything is.

Matt Meiser
05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Don't ever do a recover where you apply new laminate over old with water based contact cement you'll be going back to do it over again. I have had several laminate installers tell me the same thing.

That is what I did, but I sanded heavily first, and this was in a computer lab where there is no water so maybe that is why it held up. Anyway, if it does fail, it won't be my problem any more. :D

Jim W. White
05-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Just to add some input....

I tried the water based ONCE ...and will never do it again. Was NOT happy with it in any respect outside of the smell.

Layed out poorly (too thin), tacked up poorly, and overall did not hold up (poor adhesion) in several places.

just my 2 cents,

Jim in Idaho

Ron Blaise
05-09-2007, 12:46 PM
This spring I ordered 3 sheets of Wilson Art laminate through HD. As I was cementing a boarder to one cabinet, I found that I was running low on the Wilson Art contact cement. This morning I stopped by my friendly HD to pick up another gallon of the cement. After much looking and work by the fellow who covers the counter top area, I was told that HD doesn't carry the cement any longer, and that they now only special order the W A laminate.

I asked him if W A would not build their product down the standards of the HD home office. He grinned and said that we was a company man, but I think that he agreed.

I ended up in the paint department and found some 'original formula' Weldwood contact cement. (I had a choice, water based for $9+/qt and $27+/gal, or the original for $6+/qt.) When it comes to contact cement, if it doesn't stink, it ain't no good.:rolleyes:

The bright side of this is that there is a Lowe's under construction across the street. :D

Went to work for a new Lowes near Birmingham. I am waiting to see what kind of "insider" deals I can get :D

Bruce Benjamin
05-09-2007, 1:32 PM
I've used the Weldwood nonflammable, low VOC contact cement with perfect results. That's how I attached the laminate onto my router and drill press tables and they've seen some fairly rough use. It cleans up easily with water before it dries. I've used the regular kind too but I don't have any reason to use anything else other than the low VOC kind again.

Bruce

Allen Bookout
05-09-2007, 8:15 PM
After much looking and work by the fellow who covers the counter top area, I was told that HD doesn't carry the cement any longer, and that they now only special order the W A laminate.

My Home Depot carries it. I wonder if this is store buy store like some of their stuff is. You might check another store around your area.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Hard to believe that you found lower prices on the same lumber at either one. They shop each other daily here and you never catch any lumber underpriced. Some tools get by them, but rarely lumber or hardware. Here the PT is much better and prettier at HD. I won't even shop Lowes anymore for that.

Matt Meiser
05-10-2007, 9:24 AM
I rarely buy it, but around here, the dimensional lumber at both big box stores is pretty much junk. When I have bought 2x4's I get dirty looks for picking though the stack. I have had much better luck buying from the local lumber yard which will deliver for free.

Barry Londrigan
05-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Richard,

I agree....and also proof on your brain cell theory right here...

Cliff Clavin explained the 'Buffalo Theory' to his buddy, Norm. "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers...

Byron Trantham
05-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Richard,

I agree....and also proof on your brain cell theory right here...

Cliff Clavin explained the 'Buffalo Theory' to his buddy, Norm. "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers...

Hum... Now I know why I am a genius!:D

Barry Londrigan
05-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Bryon

I'm pretty sure I'm smarter than you.... :)

Kelly C. Hanna
05-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I resemble that remark!!!