PDA

View Full Version : Which HVLP gun?

jason lambert
05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
It is becoming apparent spraying is the way to go. I do this for a hobbie so I don't want to spend a fortune on a gun but am willing to spend what it will take to get good results. What gun do you guys use and recomend?

I have a pancake compressor if needed but not sure it outputs enought air 7.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI/5.3 SCFM @ 90 PSI.

Mike Murray
05-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Jason, I experienced the same epiphany about a year ago. Looking back, I would love to redo so many of my projects with the spray finishing techniques I've learned in the last year. Not sure why it took me so long. And I've still got so much to learn...

Anyway, I decided to start with the $70 Husky gravity feed gun from Home Depot. I think it's a rebranded Campbell Hausfeld. I'll upgrade soon, but for now this gun meets my needs and didn't set me back too much just to get started.

Your pancake compressor will work, but it will run continuously, which exceeds the 50-75% duty cycle spec, and will shorten it's life considerably. For any serious spraying, you need higher output... 10+ CFM @ 90psi. Pancakes are not designed for tools requiring continuous air flow. Your ears will thank you as well.

jason lambert
05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Im debating between the
Fuji Mini-Mite 4-Stage HVLP and the
Porter-Cable Gravity Feed Spray Gun #PSH1 or anything else that looks good also looking at the
ACCUSPRAY and TurbinAire I know there is a big difference in price but the stuff I am making takes alot of time and I don't want to screw it up. Any other sugestions.

Tim Sproul
05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Any other sugestions.

Give Jeff Jewitt a call at Homestead Finishing. He'll help steer you in the correct direction. Part of the equation in determining your gun of choice is also what finish(es) you spray. FWIW, I have purchased several HVLP guns from Jeff and I get most of my supplies through him as well. He's been a consistently good source of information and has recommended me inexpensive guns when appropriate.

For conversion HVLP (compressed air), you probably want a little bit bigger compressor, although some people have successfully set up with a pancake. IIRC, those that did tied a 10 gallon resevoir tank into the compressed air system, giving you a bit more air volume to work with. I was perusing the HD and Lowes tool sections recently and noticed a new compressor from Dewalt. 15 gallon tank, oilless and 200 psi. Just perfect for my needs.....enough air to spray and portable for the few times I might take it out (albeit portable with difficulty). We'll have to see about performance and longevity.

Nancy Laird
05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Jason, as I told you in the other post, we have the PC gun and it works just great for our needs. At less than $150 for the whole set-up, you'll be fine. You will probably want to buy a larger compressor if you're going to do a lot of spraying.

Nancy

mark page
05-08-2007, 9:13 PM
I personally use the Devilbiss finishline III series hvlp. You can get any number of tips for multiple use. I find it sprays WB lacquer great with the 1.3 tip. I have tips up to 2.2 for use with heavier liquids. It has been flawless so far and have sprayed a lot of gallons through it.
Other family members prefer a binks pressure pot system, but this jumps up a whole lot in $$$ invested.