PDA

View Full Version : First ever turnings...

Phillip H Smith
05-08-2007, 9:14 AM
G'morning....

After much trepidation, I've decided to post a picture of my first turning efforts. Let me say at the outset...THESE ARE NOT GOOD! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon11.gif They represent my first attempt to do something with my new lathe.

The thing on the left "intended to be" a honey-dipper; it was made from some maple firewood. I had to flatten out the beading because the end-grain kept splitting out. I'm not sure if that was due to turn speed (used the lathe at 430 rpm) or because the wood was a bit wet (even after being on my pile for over 9 mo.)...or simply poor use/improper technique of the tools (used a Spindlemaster and Easy Beader from Sorby, after rounding the stock with a roughing gouge).

The darker piece started life as a Walnut cut-off from a flat stock project. I made a face-plate glue block to hold the pre-rounded blank (I actually used double-stick tape to hold the workpiece). This wanted to be a wine bottle coaster....and somewhat resembles one.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif I did the initial rough turning at 430 rpm, then ramped it up a bit to 810 rpm. I think this piece came out much smoother, though I still have some nasty end-grain showing (visible on the left side). I sanded this using 80 up to 320 grits and then gave it a tung oil wipe down. But I'm not pleased with so much end grain showing.

Any comments on how I can improve my technique -- falling short of, "Go back to flat stock projects!" -- would be appreciated. (I can't stop now..'cause I just ordered a chuck and a bunch of other goodies! Oh...I guess, depending on the comments, I could put my hardware up on Ebay!)

Thanks...

Phil

Ken Fitzgerald
05-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Phillip.....Nice first turnings.....the honey dipper is really a mini-bonker and qualifies you as a neophite turner!

Wow....endgrain tearout.......sharp tools.....sometimes wet the piece with mineral spirits for the final cut.........

I'd say you did a great job with your first turnings...don't get discouraged....keep at it. I've been turning a little over a year and it's been a constant learning experience and I don't see it ending in the next 20 years or so.

Don Orr
05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I have to agree with Ken on everything. Good advice there. My 1 addition is don't be afraid of a little speed, but don't overdo it either. I usually work at about 1200 rpm and a little higher, but rarely over 1500 rpm. Too slow can actually be a disadvantage. Things can tear instead of cut. With that, as Ken said, learn to sharpen well and often. Much more wood passes a cutting edge per second in turning than in flat work and edges dull more quickly.

Have fun,

Jonathon Spafford
05-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Great turnings! You are right on track! One thing about your speed - turn as fast as you feel comfortable, but I would say that 430 is a little slow especially for something this small! You can easily turn something like this at 2000 rpm. The faster you go the cleaner the cuts... the slow speed may have contributed to the split out on the dipper. Just turn up the speed a bit until you are comfortable... the cuts will be so much better and easier! It doesn't have to be 2000 rpm, but 430 just seems a bit slow!

The tearout that you are talking about is easily gotten rid of by a freshly sharpened tool with the final cut. As Ken mentioned, applying mineral spirits, or oil or wax to that spot will help to get a cleaner cut during the final cut. Most of it should be gone with the tool, but any left over can be taken care of with sandpaper. In the first grit or two you should get all of it off!!! If need be stop the lathe and sand that part by hand - which I often do! But you'll want that stuff off before 220 grit or it becomes really hard to get off! Once you get to 220 grit you should be fine. Torn grain just happens when the fibers are being pulled out instead of cut... a sharp tool will really help!

Nancy Laird
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Phillip, I really like the honey dipper, but the pic is a little dark to see the coaster--what I can see I like. I guess I'd better try a bonker---pens I can do, maybe with a bonker I can get past the mental block I got with a bottle stopper -- that is STILL on the lathe.

Nancy

Jim Underwood
05-08-2007, 1:41 PM
First turnings eh?

Looks like we got another turner on our hands folks!:D

Good job! I think they're probably better than my first turnings.

I would also turn up the speed. Unlike others here who probably have more sense, I speed up the spindle turning as fast as I can. But then I love spindle turning too... which most people don't.:cool: When doing small spindle turnings I max out my mini at around 3,000 RPM. It does help with the tear out, and gets a finer finish, especially with a sharp skew.

Side grain stuff? I'm a bit more cautious there. It's too easy to throw something off the lathe, so I'll slow it down a fair bit. I want to make turnings not wear them!

But just do what you're comfortable with. Generally speaking you start off slow until you get something round, then speed it up to just before the lathe starts walking away. :D

Don't know if you've heard of it, but Keith Rowley's book "A Foundation Course in Woodturning" is really a great beginner book. It helped me understand the basics better than any other source I have.

Kim Ford
05-08-2007, 1:50 PM
Phil;

I think you did a great job for you first. I wish mine had been that nice.

For my two cents; speed is part of the equation, but proper tool presentation is the other and that only comes from lots of shavings on the floor. The tool needs to cut or slice the cross grain, not tear it and there's just a lot that goes into making that happen. That's why we are all in the vortex with you. Keep turning and posting and most of all have fun.

Keith Burns
05-08-2007, 2:11 PM
Phillip, all I can say is congradulations !!! You did it !! I like what I see. I dare say us turners, no matter how long we've been doing it, learn something new every time we fire up our lathes. I know I do. Be sure to hang on to those so you can compare what you do a year from now.

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2007, 2:25 PM
Phillip, great first turnings! Lots of good advice so far and it really all boils down to lots more turning! Be safe, have fun and don't be afraid to try a little more speed.

Joe Tonich
05-08-2007, 3:37 PM
"much trepidation..........." WhatchootawkinaboutPhillip??

Them are sweet!!

My only comment is to keep turnin em. The more practice you get the better you'll get.

Tom Sherman
05-08-2007, 4:20 PM
Nice turning Philip, turning is a constant learning process sometimes we learn the same lessons all over again.DAMHIKT

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2007, 7:21 PM
Phillip you did well for your first turning. Ditto what Ken said.

Doug M Jones
05-08-2007, 9:55 PM
Nice first effort. I've only been turning about 2 months and it took me about a month before I finally got a good edge on my turning tools. One day the sawdust and chips were gone and curlies were flying. I still struggle but turning is so much fun that I don't even mind when I screw something up and have to start over again. Just keep turning and learning.

Jim Ketron
05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Nice Job!
The fun has just begun!

Joseph Peacock
05-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Very nice honey dipper!:D