PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Buckeye Bowl

steven carter
05-08-2007, 8:44 AM
The buckeye was spalted almost to rotten. I started out with an 8" blank, and ended up with a 4" bowl. I thought the punky wood might not be all the way through, but to no avail. I finally decided to stop and do the DNA and see what would happen. You could rake the wood away with your fingernail. This was my first experience with spalted/punky and I didn't know what to expect. After DNA and drying I did the finishing cuts and sanded. To my surprise, the bowl sanded out very smooth. I have some bigger bowls roughed out and drying, hopefully they will turn out as well. Ended up 4" x 3", sanded to 800 and dinished with fricition polish.

Paul Engle
05-08-2007, 9:37 AM
Nice bowl Steven, justa right for a pint of one's favorite ice cream :eek: . I have this problem with spalted birch, just no getting around it. The day will come when you hit that spalted one that is not rotted and you will be ready for it, and we all will share in your grinning !!!!!

Dennis Peacock
05-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Very pretty piece there Steven. The wood is very pretty and for the size it is? The form is excellent. Very well done sir. :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2007, 2:32 PM
Nice looking bowl Steve! I turn a lot of spalted birch and like what happened to you - have had problems with the wood becoming punky. Hey, its just wood - grab another piece and turn it!

Nancy Laird
05-08-2007, 3:14 PM
I like it!! I really like it!!!

Nancy

Keith Burns
05-08-2007, 3:35 PM
Well done Steven !! Nice piece, worth the effort !!:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2007, 7:22 PM
That is a beauty. Really like the wood. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
05-09-2007, 2:43 AM
Nice job! The perseverance paid off... the bowl looks great! I've never tried it, but I have heard that laquer thinned with laquer thinner (50/50) will help to harden up the punky spots. I've also heard that soaking a bowl in a wood glue water mixture (50/50) will do the same thing. Never done it myself, but you might try it next time you play around with a punky piece! Also, make sure you are wearing a respirator with the spalted stuff... it is really bad for you to breathe!