PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #12 Scraper

Rob Luter
05-08-2007, 6:22 AM
Greetings to all,

Does anyone have experience with a Stanley #12 Cabinet Scraper aka Veneer Scraper? I'm using a #80 now and it works well, but I found a #12 in real nice shape at a good price. The blade is adjustable and has some serious heft when compared to the #80 and, well, it has rosewood handles and shiny brass bits (drool). The size of the blade suggests a wider cutting path, and the additional thickness makes me think it won't need to be sharpened as often.

All input is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

- Rob

Mike K Wenzloff
05-08-2007, 8:23 AM
Hi Rob--owned and used them for years.

Of course, I mostly used it for leveling veneer and stringing. It's real good at that for the attributes you mention. Those attributes: weight, width and thickness of blade make it more ideal for its intended purpose.

The thick blade cannot be bowed, so it is not as useful for blending in localized areas of tear-out one would use the #80 for. The wider blade produces more drag and the weight is so much greater so for larger areas is more fatiguing.

Even the #80 for me is used following the use of hand scrapers to blend their localized use into the larger flatter areas.

Sounds negative I suspect. But the #12s are champs for what they are "made" for. Oh, the edge longevity. Like the #112 scraping plane, the edge retention isn't necessarily greater than a card or #80 scraper. It is, but not so as to be a great benefit.

It is the inflexibility of the larger blade which is the desirable attribute for the #12 or #112 for the blending in the hand scrapers, the veneer aspect [in the case of the #12] or for larger surfaces which "must" be scraped [as in the case of the #112].

Take care, Mike

Walt Quadrato
05-19-2007, 3:56 PM
Rob,

anytime you see a #12 family scraper at a decent price you should pick it up.:D
as some of you know, I have a little thing for scrapers..

the thing about the 12 family is their flexibility...adjustable blade angle, different blade bevels and different hooks all will allow you more options when working really squirelly grain and the 12 family gives you a lot of options.

You're not limited to the heavy blade either, pop a lighter blade in the mouth and you can do very delicate work.

Walt Q