PDA

View Full Version : Problem & ?

Bart Leetch
05-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Here You see a picture of the little Disston saw I got for $5.

I don't think this is the original handle, as you can see I have used a Sharpie pen to show where the holes in the handle align when it is positioned properly. You can also see the saw nut that had the logo on it.

Now I need some help here as to what to do. It doesn't look like there is enough space between the old holes & where the new holes need to be drilled. So what to do?

Another thought is I do have the pattern for the open style handle. So what to do?

Also where can I get new saw nuts?

When this gets repaired I send this saw off as well as the other 3 saws to get sharpened.

Mike K Wenzloff
05-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi Bart--just came in from the shop...

Actually, I would simply bolts it very firmly using the present holes and adjust the back to fit. The only pressure from the back holding the blade is the last bit near the bottom of the back and so it looks like there is plenty of fudge room for keeping good hold on the blade.

I recently expanded the shop--which is why I am really behind at the moment--and have misplaced my bag of saw bolts and nuts, but I need to dig it out for another person. Meaning to say I am sure I have proper period Disston bolts/nuts for your saw. At least I think I do.

Let me know...perhaps a couple clear pictures. One of the entire saw, especially the full blade and a clear picture of the handle, bolts and nuts. Plop a quarter down beside the old medallion they drilled through so I can measure everything form here and view what's left of the medallion and ry to get a sense of age. The stamp on the back for Disston would be good to see up close as well.

Take care, Mike

Bob Hallowell
05-09-2007, 1:50 AM
Bart,
do some searches on saw sharpening, I learned from reading articles and help from Mike W. and Jerry Palmer on another forum. It's really pretty easy all you'll need to buy is a saw set and a couple small triagle files.

Andrew Williams
05-09-2007, 7:37 AM
Don't use an old, worn-out triangular file BTW. They just don't seem to get the thing properly sharpened.